It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:33 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Colleagues,

I have a fresh installation of WS2013E and it connects to the Internet but not to the LAN and so I cannot take advantage of the home network resources I have (such as a network printer, etc.).

In the Network and Sharing Center it says that the active network is the domain network the OS created when it installed. I am not familiar with networks and/or domains, but everything else works.

So, my question is: How can I make the server connect to the LAN?

Thank you all in advanced.

Regards.

NZXT Classic H2, Cooler Master Silent Pro M600, Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2-B3, Intel Core i5-2310, Crucial 16GB; System: 1 128GB 840 Pro Series; Data: 1 Seagate 3TB Barracuda, 2 Samsung 2TB EcoGreen F4 HD204UI; Backup: 1 Hitachi 500GB Deskstar, 1 Hitachi 2TB

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:21 pm 

If the server is connected to the internet then it should show up on your network. Your server may not be showing up on your network but should be there so turning on network discovery should make it visible. Also if you go to your network and in the address bar type in the name of the server lets just call it SERVER and if you enter \\SERVER it should show up even though its not listed.

Have you been able to setup the client software for the server yet?

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:33 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Comp1962,

Thanks for the reply, I hope all is well.

The problem is not in the clients but on the server. When I am logged on the server and I click on the connection icon in the tray bar it shows it is connected to servername.local and not to my LAN therefore, I can't use my printer, for example, that is a network printer. Maybe this is the way it is supposed to be, I haven't worked with domain controllers before but I always thought that everything (server included) should be connected to the LAN.

Regards.

NZXT Classic H2, Cooler Master Silent Pro M600, Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2-B3, Intel Core i5-2310, Crucial 16GB; System: 1 128GB 840 Pro Series; Data: 1 Seagate 3TB Barracuda, 2 Samsung 2TB EcoGreen F4 HD204UI; Backup: 1 Hitachi 500GB Deskstar, 1 Hitachi 2TB

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:53 pm 

It comes down to how you set the server up meaning DOMAIN or WORKGROUP. However the server is setup the client would also be setup once the client software is installed. Mine is setup for a DOMAIN but the majority of my devices were setup when I was running a WORKGROUP. I am able to access both easily but sometimes even with network discover turned on the devices do not always show up in the network even though they are there.

I recently went though a series of router changes mostly to improve my ability do port forwarding or I should say to increase the number of port forwarding entries and not so much because the router was not functioning well just I have a need to forward more ports then it would allow me to enter. Along the way I noticed that some routers would not allow me to use device names while others did and one router actually would not allow me to access my sites on my own network. I also have a custom domain and for it to work properly without having to run a DDNS utility I use only routers which allow me to resolve my DDNS issue with my domain provider so my choices of routers is limited unless of course I want to run a DDNS Utility on a server or client which I do not want to do but this has nothing to do with your issue just my explaining the issues I encountered with different routers and the cause and affect they had on my network.

So if you setup your Server to be a DOMAIN and not a WORKGROUP you will have somewhat of a learning curve to overcome with accessing things on your network. Its a small learning curve I assure you but its an annoying one but once you figure it out its not so bad. One of the things WS2012E wants to be setup as is the DHCP Server and you can only have 1 DHCP Server on your network or things can get real messy. I like most home users continue to let the Router be the DHCP server because its just easier to work with but may not be the best way to run the network and because I am uncertain on how to setup and work with at this time how to set the server up to be the DHCP server to get it to work properly. So I am sticking for the time being with the router handling that task until I can fully understand how to properly do it on the server side.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks