It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:01 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

One thing I liked about my whs2011 DIY was it could connect to the wireless in the house. I could drag it around the house, headless and still connect to it and it could get updates and get on the net if needed.
W2012E did not have the wireless services right off the bat, it could see the wireless card and installed drivers for it, but I could not find a way to connect it.
Did some goggling and found this:
http://www.win2012workstation.com/tag/wifi/
Now I have the SSID locator and connected to my router with good strength, but no internet yet. So I think I'm close, this is the second install of this OS because of the lack of wireless. I seemed to remember I have to add workgroup or something like that last time to make it eaiser to see on the network.
If anybody has gotten wireless to work on this, give me a shout... I don't want a wire, at least for a while.

Edit:
Never mind, I was messing around with connection settings and it is wireless now YAH! I may buy this os one of these days. :crazy:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:34 pm 

WOW. I understand why people use and require wireless but for a server I always use the cable to maximize the speed. Only thing I use wireless for are my Android devices and on occasion a notebook. I have run cables everywhere just because I have the need for speed.

This past week I sat down to play with my WS2012E Test Server and the more I play with it the more I like it and its not because its a new OS but because its more refined than WHS2011 which I have been running and like very much too. The VPN set is totally awesome and when you make the VPN connection the backups work perfectly offsite and are automated just like being at home. Having NIC teaming built in is another added plus.

Downside is if you use the DOMAIN then you need the higher end Win7 and Win8 OS versions and it does not support the backing up of the older clients running XP or Vista and for this reason I will continue to run WHS v1 or 2011. While you can configure WS2012 to run as a workgroup you will lose the option to use its built in VPN feature and would have to configure your own VPN Setup but WS2012 sets up a VPN without much effort on your part.

Anyway this has nothing to do with wireless connectivity just and old dude rambling on and on.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:35 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Ramble on :cheers: it's all good info.
I wanted the wireless just for the testing period (and because it was their) :-). It's handier to have this test box mobile, able to set it wherever in the house. If it was the main server it would be on the wire/s. 2012E is clean and shows me how much more I need to learn about real server admin. 2011 seemed to work ok, but I was drawn back to 2012E as that's where the future is (at least for now).
Yes, the speed on the wireless is not great but it backed up the little netbook (win 7 starter) I attached to it in about 20-30 mins. I only have 1 xp laptop (to old to upgrade) and 1 vista desktop (have the free win7 upgrade, just haven't done it) left now, so making ready for the new server version.
The price just kills me, I have seen it for $300, but I just can't pull the trigger yet. I understand it is because Microsoft made it for small businesses, so they want to soak them, but it makes it hard for us home peeps.
Yes, the vpn/remote desktop stuff is very clean, I think if I am still around when the house is all win8 or above 2012E will be solid. Right now I'm working on that third x510 so don't feel pushed to switch yet.
Hope this wireless trick helps. I saw the wireless could be used for vpn at first, this trick just upgraded it a little bit.
Test on :D

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:19 pm 

I still can't get the drivers to install. I get a "Don't support on this platform" error. I can install the other software that just tells me that I don't have any wireless drivers installed. I've gone straight to the website and downloaded the window 8 drivers. What Drivers did you use and what OS did you select if you remember.
Thank you a ton!

Thanks