It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:50 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I currently have an HP EX490 (updated with a Pentium E5400 and 2 GB RAM) running WHS v1 without too many issues (the system OS drives keep dying on me). I mostly use the server to stream video, music, and pictures throughout the house (to a Windows 7 HTPC, a few TiVos, and Xboxes) and backup important files (I write and record music). I also back up a number of files from the server to the cloud (CrashPlan). I'm always concerned the HP hardware will fail (e.g. power supply, motherboard, network, etc.) and I'm sure supplies will continue to dwindle over time. I also have access to Windows Server 2012E and have been looking at the HP n54l but am concerned that for those occasions when I need to transcode video on the fly (e.g. Air Video or TiVo), the new HP server will not be as powerful as my existing EX490. Also, is the upgrade in the hardware worth the cost? What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:55 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I bought a HP N40L when my EX470 dropped on me. To discover that it went down only because it was full of dust causing a bad airflow and bringing the processor to shut down (too high temps). Since my upgraded EX470 was faster than my N40L, I decided to install WHS2011 on the N40L (for backup purposes and storage) and WS2012E on the EX470 (for streaming and storage). I don't know if my films recode on the fly, but they stream better (no stutter, no frame dropping) from the EX than from the NL.

Because of the cost of server 2012, Windows 8 is now running on my EX470 with the same results, while the N40L has the job of backing up and other server tasks. A downgraded similar issue as yours.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:30 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

"jmmsumru" (the system OS drives keep dying on me). This is concerning.. Maybe a better brand of drive??
We are all kind of in the same boat, the media server line is dead, granted their are still a few out their new/refurbs that a person could pick up, kind of pricy, but we all have growing amounts of data and a lot are still needing a server that will multitask server/convertor/streamer which takes some housepower.
Some are going DIY and building, their are all shapes and sizes of home grown options in the DIY thread, some are buying extra servers off ebay so they will have extra parts. And some are buying higher end Real servers.

As far as the OS goes, WHSv1 has the memory limit, Harddrive limit 2tb (kind of, not counting hacking) WHS 2011 can use more memory and larger drives but you lose DE (their are a couple of replacements drivebender/stablebit) but this OS on the headless server is going to be a pain. Win server 2012E $375.00 for us regular people, it won't allow win xp or vista pc's on it but in my mind is very clean can use lots of memory and larger drives and I think storage-spaces will grow up to be a good thing. But again, putting it on a headless system is going to be a pain.

What I offer you kind of depends on your tech level and your wallet:
1) Buy better harddrives and get some spare parts because it is really hard to beat the little server and the OS that came with it, once you fill it, then you will want to be thinking about better/bigger hardware. You could expand with Esata or USB but then you have more fail points.
2) Start building a better/bigger DIY now and sell your while prices are still up and you can put any OS you want on it.
3) OS well I have played with whs 2011 and win server 2012E and soon win8 pro, I wish they were more like WHS v1 but they aren't.

What did I do? I built a DIY to play and test. And bought a third media server so I will have pleny of parts, My data needs are still held in the box. When I fill it, then I will build a BIG DIY and most likely win 2012E will be the OS.
Something to think about:
I built a barebone Shuttle PC pretty cheap, maxed it out on memory/cpu put a SSD harddrive in it and win7pro and use it headless with a dvd ripper/audio ripper/convertor/flatbed scanner and printer attached to it, it sets back by the media server and it is conneted to the media server, I put remote desktop shortcuts on all the clients in the house so everybody can use it. Maybe a 2 box setup could work for you.
Hope this helps. Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:58 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks, this was all very helpful. Very much appreciated.

-jmm

Thanks