It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:45 am 

Thinking of waking up my two EX47x's, that has been "sleeping" for the last 4 years, and upgrade the OS from the original WHS 2003.

The purpose will be backups, file storage and maybe stream videos to Chromecast and/or a MacMini with Plex. The web-sharing of music/videos/photos is not needed and I am happy to use Remote Desktop instead of the web interface. The main server has been upgraded (memory 2 gb and CPU ADH1640IAA5DH) and the second server has only 1 gb of memory and the original CPU.

I would prefer automatic backups of the computers connected to the home network (Win 10, 64 bit) and the only function for the second WHS-server will be scheduled backups of the main WHS-server.

Which OS do you recommend for my setup/purpose, WHS 2011e or WHS 2012e R2, or stick to the old WHS 2003?

Please feel free to come with suggestions on how I best can use my two EX47x's for my purpose, without having to buy new hardware.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:39 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hello, welcome to the "what to do now" times in the home server world. :-) Many of us are right there with ya.

What I can say:
1) your servers (at least the one that is hardware upgraded) will run all of the OS'es mentioned.
2) all the OS'es will do automatic client backups.
3) not sure about Plex, never used it, my guess is it would run on all os'es, would need to check.
4) chromecast not sure about, have not used one.
5) Win 2012E and Win 2012E R2 both have the setup inside of them to backup the server OS to an internal drive or network share I believe.
6) when changing to a different OS it is very handy to have the Video Adapter so you can see what your doing.

I will be running whs V1 on my upgraded server with 9 clients as long as I can. I have a second server running the same OS that I use to synctoy the main server to about once a month, I also use non-pooled backup drives in the main server to backup the shares. I use serviio to DLNA stream my video to my Samsung plasma tv.
So my data is backed up like 4 times and streaming works fine for everybody on my giga network.

I built a DIY win2012E box (just in case) it has a win7pro VM running on it, but it is just for playing right now. I really hope I don't have to use it.

I believe there are trial versions on win2012E and R2 that you could try and if you liked it you could look for a good price. I have seen win2012E for around $300 R2 might be a bit higher.
I tried R2 and didn't like it. You would think they would be about the same, but for me the R2 give me more difficulty to get setup.

Hope this helps,
Some have gone win7 some have gone Win8 some have gone win10 but client backups become a problem then, (how to do them)

Let us know which way you go, as I said, others are in the same boat with ya.
Good Luck and enjoy

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks