It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:16 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Very encouraging for future expansion. Thanks for testing that out with the large drives. When prices come down some, I plan to add a couple to expand storage.
Thanks again, Comp1962.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:22 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

One thing I wanted to ask here about Server 2012 Essentials if you choose NOT to use Domains.

I saw a Microsoft MVP on a HomeServerShow Podcast saying that all clients had to log on with a username/PW every time to access server shares. There was no way to auto-login or remember credentials. Is this so? Sounds like it would get very annoying after a client reboot or start up to have to do this each time.

Besides the price, this is one thing that steered me over to WHS 2011 instead.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:11 pm 

I have to tell you honestly if you travel a lot then the VPN setup which is very simple to do with WS2012E is just too sweet not to have running and for that you need to setup the Domain Environment. Most are use to a workgroup and its understandable for the home user that would be the way to go. As for having to sign in all the time I have it basically set that way on my notebook more for security reasons. My setup is for domains and you can have things setup to auto sign in or not. I can't comment on the use as a workgroup or how it functions.

The larger drives are sweet and Stablebit Drive Pool while not as refined as the version in WHS2011 its still the way to go. There is one difference between WHS2011 and WS2012E with drives which I discovered with the wanting to test drop out issues with Port Multipliers is that when you add the 26th drive the drive letter assignments stop where as in WHS2011 you can add more drives with letter assignments because the letters become something like AA or BB or CC etc. So to add more then 27 drives you need to use mount points for the drives to show up on your desktop. Its not really a big deal because with the larger drive sizes there is no need for large compliments of drives and who knows maybe my Norco enclosure now is overkill but I like the flexibility to continue to grow my servers storage capacity and right now should I lose a drive its not a big deal because I have more capacity to hold me until I can get a replacement.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
580guy
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:23 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

My and the wife's laptops run Win7 Home Premium, which as you know, can't deal with Domains. I have Ultimate on the desktop, but that's why I was asking about the sign in for share access on 2012 Essentials.

27 Drives! (drool). Right now I think with my MSS (assuming no drop out problems) I want to eventually run 11 4TB drives down the road (System drive will have to remain 2TB, but that's ok). That would double the storage I have now and slowly I plan to grow it to that end. By that time, they'll probably have 6 or 8TB drives, who knows? Or massive cheap SSDs or Flash drives. Gonna be interesting!

I am still studying and paying attention to 2012 Essentials, as that's where MS is going now, and consider it a remote possiblity in the future. Might have to consider a new hardware build for that though. But I see users have already installed it on the MSS, so maybe not!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:45 am 

I recently upgrade my desktop and notebook to Win8 Pro but I have 2 other notebooks still running XP that I can not upgrade because of the Rockwell Automation Software I run on them and currently I have those being backed up at work on an EX470 and when that server dies I will replace it with another EX470 or move my HP ProLiant there and perform a recovery to get the OS working.

I am enjoy the VPN function of WS2012E which needs to be run as a Domain I think its very cool to have direct access to the servers files and this week I am going to copy files from the EX470 at work to my WS2012E Server to provide some additional file protection then I can burn the files to disks while at home because I simply do not have the time to do it while at work. Its a learning curve to over come because WS2012E looks like Win8 so if you have not played with Win8 then prepare to fumble around a bit until you get use to it.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
580guy
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:51 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
I am enjoy the VPN function of WS2012E which needs to be run as a Domain I think its very cool to have direct access to the servers files and this week I am going to copy files from the EX470 at work to my WS2012E Server to provide some additional file protection then I can burn the files to disks while at home because I simply do not have the time to do it while at work. Its a learning curve to over come because WS2012E looks like Win8 so if you have not played with Win8 then prepare to fumble around a bit until you get use to it.

VPN sounds good. But aside from that, I have had very little interest in upgrading to Windows 8. It appears I am not alone. For what I do, especially a lot of media stuff with Windows Media Center and MediaPortal, I don't see Windows 8 offering much of anything, sometimes less considering WMC is an additional purchase now. Very happy with 7. I think MS hit the sweetspot twice, with XP and then 7. At least for us "little" guys with smaller pockets!
Thanks for the info on 2012E. Still wondering how it would work without domains, and only workgroups for the sign-in credentials.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:15 pm 

VPN works for Windows 7 in WS2012E. Actually you can setup a VPN for your WHS2011 server but its something I never put to use but had planned on doing but then I went with WS2012E and so it was there so I took advantage of it.

Aside from that Win8 was a hard push for me after first seeing it when it was in Beta and I did not like it one bit. Then it was released and I freed up a client and decided to install Win8 to play with to give it another chance figuring I should learn how the OS actually worked. I got use to it, yes I fumbled around but it did not take me long to get use to it. Then I got a free upgrade for the notebook I use and the more I played with it the more I began to gain an appreciation for the OS and then I installed it on my primary desktop and now I just use it much the same way I used Win7. Your right about WMC, I got a free copy of it when Microsoft was giving it away but I could only get 1 copy so I purchased 1 additional copy. WMC is now referred to as an ADD-IN. Nice term eh.

So working with Win8 afforded me one big benefit in that it helped me get around WS2012E because the OS is similar but finding things in WS2012E took me a bit more time then it did with Win8 because Microsoft put things in a different location.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:43 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

580guy wrote:
One thing I wanted to ask here about Server 2012 Essentials if you choose NOT to use Domains.

I saw a Microsoft MVP on a HomeServerShow Podcast saying that all clients had to log on with a username/PW every time to access server shares. There was no way to auto-login or remember credentials. Is this so? Sounds like it would get very annoying after a client reboot or start up to have to do this each time.

I am not using domains and auto log in is fine, credentials are saved.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:22 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Keigotw wrote:
580guy wrote:

I am not using domains and auto log in is fine, credentials are saved.

Even if you use a Domain you can set Auto logins.
It a well known registry tweak that's easy to do just google it.
Of course if the domain security is set to not allow that you will need to adjust your global policy for the domain.
That can be found on the server under "Administrative tool" just look for GPO manager.

As always be careful.
BTW this is also where you set password complexity requirements :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:38 am 

Quick question, I just finally moved my desktop PC over to Domain via WS2012E. One issue I am having, I see my shares without issues. However, I run a VPN on my desktop PC and the moment I turn the VPN on I can no longer access my shares (I get a message that I don't have permission). Any ideas how I correct this?

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:36 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hi Damian,

I had problems the first time I installed VPN. Don't know if this will help you, but to get it right, I had to reinstall the connector through my webdomain I described this here. Since Comp1962 has it also installed he may have other tricks under his sleeves.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank VieuxJules for this post
dbone1026
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:09 am 

VieuxJules wrote:
Hi Damian,

I had problems the first time I installed VPN. Don't know if this will help you, but to get it right, I had to reinstall the connector through my webdomain I described this here. Since Comp1962 has it also installed he may have other tricks under his sleeves.

Thanks, I will give that a shot. So I just need to uninstall the Connector and then reinstall via the webdomain. Hopefully I will give this a shot later today, real annoying to have to kill my VPN just to access my shares!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:17 am 

I do not recall issues with losing access to shares after setting up the VPN on my clients. I do recall initial difficulty seeing the shares on my workgroup servers but that basically resolved itself and now I am able to see everything.

I was able to map drive access from my WHSv1 server to WS2012E so that I can easily access files for applications like running Remote Potato on WHSv1 but I still run Subsonic on WHSv1 and am not able to properly access the files on my WS2012E servers. Right now its not a high priority on my part to get Subsonic to access the files but I would like for it to work properly but for the moment I have Subsonic just accessing local files on the WHSv1 server and I do like Subsonic for music streaming but I can also use it to stream video too so getting it to work with WS2012E is a must down the road.

I will also confirm for those who are interested in running Remote Potato on their WS2012E server that it works but my feeling is that if you have other devices which can run it and handle the transcoding that it may be better to run it that way to reduce the workload on the WS2012E server.

I still have to figure out why I keep getting BPA Alerts regarding the DNS which only show up when I team my NICs but it is not an issue if I run a single NIC. It complains about the clients need to point exclusively to the servers DNS and it appears this is the case. Right now its working and I do not want to break it so I am ignoring the BPA Alerts.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:59 am 

Once I set up one of the browsing options in WS2012E (it was disabled by default) I was then able to see my server on my client PCs via workgroup.

The whole Domain is a PITA though at first. I set up my wife's PC and then she called me that quicken, the printer, etc.. were not working. I just had to repoint the files for her b/c of the domain change.

I haven't installed any of those transcoding type programs yet. So far I just have Metabrowser and DrivePool running. I still need to install Sonos (maybe, could probably skip this), maybe My Movies / Remote Potato, etc... I used to use Subsonic but since I use Google Music now I haven't had a need for.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:52 am 

Its different that's for sure. I have had clients setup to work in mixed environments in the past when XP first came out and its how you logon to the client which makes the difference as you can logon to the client in different ways using the ServerName\UserName or ClientName\UserName and each presents something different but I use the ClientName\UserName to logon to my clients which also allows me to access the workgroup computers that I want to access be it at home or at work which uses a Workgroup and a WHSv1 server setup.

Since I am currently covering the 3rd shift at work until I get off my butt and hire a new foreman I have enjoyed the VPN setup which allows my notebook to not just access the server but also back it up.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next