It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:49 pm 

Hi guys,
i woulder if someone could help me, i want to install windows server 2012 on my mediasmart. how would i go about installing this particular edition? ive tried plugging the hard drive into another computer and installing in whitch it did install. when i stuck the hard drive in my mediasmart server i get nothing. the other question is how can i access my server on another computer over my network as i dont know what the ip is or anything? for example log into the server itself as i dont have a VGA port on my server. and one more question how would i go about adding a vga port to my mediasmart as it would make life so my easier. it would be great to hear from you i would be greatful for any suggesstions.

regards,

Simon

:ms:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:48 pm 

The easiest way to identify the server is to actually reserver and IP # for it in the router so the server will always have the same IP #. If you have the server on and logon to the router and look at the DHCP listing then you should see all your network devices. To figure out the server if no device name is displayed then the best thing to do is to rule out all the known IP's in the list until your down to one IP which should be the server. To verify if its correct just ping it when the server is on and then ping it again with the server off and if you get no response then you will know how to identify the server. Thing to note here is to write down the MAC Address because IP numbers change but the MAC Address will not.

As for the VGA connection. The easiest way to make a VGA connection is to purchase a DEBUG Board also known as a DEBUG Cable from VoV Technologies. For more info on a DEBUG Board check out the link below:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/05 ... available/

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:38 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

What Comp1962 has written + the Foundation edition doesn't have a dashboard ans similar helpful tools. therefore I'm not sure it can be installed unattended as for Essentials edition. You need far more server management knowledge to work with Foundation than is necessary for Essentials, according to Microsoft.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:49 pm 

Oh man I overlooked one thing and that is Foundation is only for OEM's and not quite certain if it will be sold like the current OEM versions of MS Software or at what cost.....

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks