It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:00 pm 

So my EX485 has been giving me problems for awhile now and the main drive has finally died. I've been wanting to build a DIY WHS2011 system for awhile now and I finally have an excuse now! I've done some research and have come up with the following hardware options. I'm really iffy on the mobo. I'd like something with more than four SATA ports onboard but prices jump a lot when that number is breached. So I'm thinking that getting a four port one and then getting a SATA card to expand in the future would be the way to go, but I'm still pretty new to this. Enough rambling, HERE'S SOME LINKS!

Motherboard
Intel BOXDH61CRB3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboardhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121504
or
GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboardhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128540

Processor
Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623G850http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116397

Power Supply
COOLMAX CX-550B 550W ATX12V Power Supplyhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159026

RAM
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1339DS1S00http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148543

I haven't decided on a case yet, but that doesn't seem particularly vital at this point. Thanks for any input guys!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:28 am 

Hi skmastaz welcome to the forums.

The site has a forum for DIY Builds that contains several builds by forum members. While most of the builds there might be WHS v1 builds its the detailed thought process of each build which I believe will help guide you with your current build.

The most important thing you should do is determine what you want to do with your new server. If you put alot of thought into it and build it to meet your current and future needs then you will end up with a build to be proud of. Review your storage needs and do not be over concerned with the compliment of SATA ports on the motherboard because you can add SATA controllers to grow your server and this will better help you to chose the best motherboard for your needs.

If one of the things you want to do is to stream online and your server will be doing the transcoding then you may want to look at a Quad Core processor. Here you want to install a processor to be able to handle anything you can throw at it. Now your EX485 may have served you well over the years but it had its limitations and now with a DIY Build you get to determine the components and build around your current and future needs. viewforum.php?f=22

While you may not be over concerned with the case. The case is just as important as the hardware it will house. When you establish your wants, needs and desires the one thing that will stand out and thats is how much drive capacity you will need and with that the amount of drive bays will become clear. Air flow, cooling noise levels, filtration and such also come into play. You may want drive trays or backplanes or easy access to your hard drives or desire a case which allows for easy cable management and one that allows ample room for servicability. So the case is kind of important because with the right case the build becomes easier and I believe you will want future expandability but all this is determined by what you need today and down the road.

I have built small and large servers and regardless of the build each one considered the current and future needs of the enduser. For the smaller servers I have always installed controllers with eSATA ports that are port multiplier aware so the servers could be expanded if the need ever arrised. Now Damian has a larger server and recently found the need to expand outside the box. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2012/10 ... me-server/

The other thing with mentioning is the PSU and here you do not want to install the cheapest PSU but one of good quality and if you can afford a modular PSU then you can also reduce the cable complent in the server but the PSU is your servers best friend so you will want to chose one which can properly supply the power your server will consume when fully populated.

I love doing new builds and often drive myself crazy selecting the components but in the end when done right its always something you can be proud of. With this in mind only you can best determine whats right for your needs or budget. If your budget it tight then it will have a big impact on what you build but even here you can change things down the road to meet your needs but if you can build it once and grow then the up front cost may be higher but lower over time.

So please review the experiences of others who have shared their DIY Builds and who knows maybe some of those builds may help guide you with selecting the components. In the end its your server and I wish you well in your build and I hope the day your first power it up and configure it that its and exciting event.

Have fun and good luck......

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks