It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:15 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Motherboard died on my EX 470. I had total of 14 HDD including boot drive and am planning to build a new WHS 2011 server from the ground up.
Need advice, please:
All 14 HDD's are intact with DE/Shares folders and data intact when I connect them to my PC with a USB/Sata adapter.
I'm looking at a case/Motherboard which will hold 8-10 HDD's, and plan to use my one of my existing Sans Digital TR4 USB cases to hold the overflow.

Questions:

1) Is there an "easy/lazy way to add existing HDD's to the new system / new OS installation without having to transfer data files (i.e. if I just plug'em in will the new OS be able to "see" and appropriately add the data files?)"

2) is it better/safer to just set up the Shares on the new system and transfer files to them HDD by HDD, then simply install each "added" HDD to the new case as a new drive as I go along?

3) Any other possibility I'm missing here?

Thanks - I've had a long easy life with the 470 and frankly have lost most of my acquired temporary skills as time went on! :crazy:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:27 am 
Founder
Founder

There's no way to automagically pull your data from the WHS drives into WHS shares. You can use this guide to recover your data.
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-U ... 573697777f

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
Pdoc
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:56 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks!

If I am reading this currectly, I should set up the same "Shares" on the new machine [Videos, Photos, Software,Music, etc.} and then pull data off the old drives to the appropriate Share folder on the new machine?

Not sure how the connector (or interface client on Client PC) will look since HP connector formerly did all the work!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:23 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Still a bit confused about setting up and populating shared folders on the to-be-new WHS server: I'd rather do this directly by SATA-USB connector from each of the drives that were connected to the deceased HO 470 (b/c I'm doing the build at home wheere my 480 is well and connected. The new server is going to a second home, so if possible I'd rather not have to uninstall the HP / WHS console, etc. while building the new system (i.e. treat it as a stand-alone until it gets back to its "home"). At that location I hope tp stream (primarily video but probably some software installs/udates to a total of 5 PC's. I guess I'll find out what I can do as I install WHS on the new machine and start working with it, but any advice you can offer would be - at least - reassuring. I've goten so dependent on the HP console and anterface that I'm clueless about using the "native" WHS machine all on its lonesome!

Hope this is a clear request - I was once a newbie who got to be pretty adept but alwys dependent on HP and am at sea reganding a "naked" WHS machine.

Thanks for your help over the past. Hope 2 B not too big a pain as I launch out to non HP shores / shares.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:31 pm 
Founder
Founder

I don't see a clear question from you. Simply copy your data to the server and arrange it however you want. If you aren't familiar with WHS 2011 there are plenty of reviews with screenshots. And a search will turn up other people's discussions of upgrading from WHS to WHS 2011.

Thanks