It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:47 am 

Hello guys.
I have just made my own WHS 2011, but there is an issue

I have bought CAV blacks, 5 of them but I didn't make a single drive pool. Now There is one drive with my VIDEOS folder, //server/videos share as it is
Now that appears on my PCH 200 etc, and other devices. But except for my PC where I access other folders using the LAUNCH PAD, I am unable to access and play movies from it

I have right click and shared each of the file, even separate folders. Please help or redirect me to a guide (I have already 10TB data so I cannot create a pool if there is a way to create a pool or something without losing DATA and throughput of my HArd that would be welcome too)

Please help me out. Thank You

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:37 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

khizaraq wrote:
if there is a way to create a pool or something without losing DATA and throughput of my HArd that would be welcome too)

I highly recommend you look at either DrivePool or DriveBender - both are under $50 and will dramatically simplify your configuration.

And they both have trial versions so you can test them out. I picked DriveBender, but there are plenty of other folks around here that like DrivePool.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:12 pm 

I don't really mind over-complication. But I don't wish to lose any performance I have from my drives.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:14 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

khizaraq wrote:
I don't really mind over-complication. But I don't wish to lose any performance I have from my drives.

I haven't seen any performance issues from Drive Bender - not sure what your concern is?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:32 pm 

In WHS V1 after pooling the device I saw some delay when playing the movie. Doesn't same happen in Drive Bender?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:04 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

khizaraq wrote:
In WHS V1 after pooling the device I saw some delay when playing the movie. Doesn't same happen in Drive Bender?

Not that I have seen so far....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:52 am 

Okay I shall try DriveBender. I got RAID Card as well, 8 port. Isn't that better? And also which RAID mode should I use it in?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:23 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

khizaraq wrote:
Okay I shall try DriveBender. I got RAID Card as well, 8 port. Isn't that better? And also which RAID mode should I use it in?

I depends. If you are going to use DriveBender, then you don't need RAID - strictly speaking. You can use the RAID card to present the disks as individual disks and then use Drive Bender to combine them into one volume. The advantage of that is if there is an issue with Drive Bender you can recover your files as easily as taking the hard drive to another computer and copying your files off. Hardware RAID has it's pro's and con's - it's up to you to decide if you wish to utilize it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:28 am 

Can you tell me the Pros and Cons?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:43 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

khizaraq wrote:
Can you tell me the Pros and Cons?

The bid pro for RAID is space efficiency. If you put four drives in a RAID 5 array, you only loose the capacity of one to have hardware redundancy. If you are mirroring or using file duplication like the original drive extender or products like drive bender offer you effectively loose half your useable storage.

The con to RAID 5 is complexity - especially with larger drives, rebuilding an array after replacing a failed drive can take a long time. If the drives were purchased at the same time, another one may fail before the rebuild finishes. That's why you see RAID 6 which is dedicating the space of two drives for parity error-correcting data and can withstand two simultaneous failures becoming popular. Recovery of RAID sets is also much harder if not impossible. So if two drives in a RAID 5 partially fail, you could lose all your data.

Calculating and writing the parity information out tends to slow writes with RAID 5 or 6. Calculating parity used to be a big deal and hardware RAID 5 was considered mandatory, but these days most computer CPUs sit idle. What we still can't get away from with RAID 5 or 6 is, every time you write data, the data gets written to its disk, then parity information is written to *every other disk*. Every disk is involved with every write, which is expensive from a time point of view.

Mirroring and duplication don't have those recovery issues, and since there is no parity information there is no write penalty. There is a slight benefit on reads since either disk may satisfy the read request - whichever one "gets there first" if you will.

With the capacities and prices per gigabyte being what they are, I tend to mirror more these days. If I'm on a server and I need absolute performance, I like what is often coined RAID 10. Multiple mirror sets (RAID 1) with a RAID 0 volume across the mirror sets. RAID 0 is just striping across multiple disks with no parity information. Provides a speed benefit, but no hardware fault tolerance. I use it on my workstation where I have multiple backups and the downtime of having to rebuild and restore the volume if I ever have a hardware failure isn't critical. That's usually not acceptable for a production server, so that's where building a RAID 0 array across multiple mirror sets solves the hardware fault tolerance issues.

But to me, that is overkill for a WHS :)

File duplication for critical or smaller files is finer, and backup copies of my larger media files like media for TV shows is more than sufficient for me. Being able to pop a flaky disk into my desktop computer and in a worst case scenario manually copy off whatever files I can more than makes up for the lack of space efficiency RAID 5/6 provides.

Then there are interesting technologies like FlexRAID that for large files that change infrequently offer "snapshot RAID" - disks in the pool remain formatted with their native file system (can be read in another computer) but drives can be added and dedicated for the fault tolerance parity information. Instead of being constantly updated in real time, the parity information is updated on a schedule.

It looks like the perfect solution for a volume dedicated to videos and movies. My only problem with FlexRAID is its not clear if it's free, beta, commercial or ??? Perhaps one day I will look at it more closely as I do think the snapshot feature of it is perfect for WHS

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:03 am 

Hmm I t hought using RAID 6 increases the overall speed of the drives.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:00 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

khizaraq wrote:
Hmm I t hought using RAID 6 increases the overall speed of the drives.

For reads - sure, your spreading them out across all the spindles. For writes, there is a penalty - since as with RAID5, all drives have to be written to on writes.

For media streaming, RAID 5 or 6 is probably well suited. For a small business server standard running as a domain controller, Exchange server, SQL server, sharepoint server and more - not so good :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:56 pm 

So can you tell me which RAID should I use on webhosting servers
Also is there any.guide I can follow that can tell me
What I have to.do to.convert my server into a Web host
so people can access.Web sites like.various hosts

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:08 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

khizaraq wrote:
So can you tell me which RAID should I use on webhosting servers

I wouldn't use any RAID with parity (i.e. RAID 5 or 6). Disks are cheap - all servers I build these days either have RAID 10 arrays (mirror sets with a RAID 1 strip/no parity across the mirror sets) or attached to a SAN of some sort.

http://storagemojo.com/2012/07/23/the-p ... has-begun/

Quote:
Also is there any.guide I can follow that can tell me
What I have to.do to.convert my server into a Web host
so people can access.Web sites like.various hosts

Their called consultants and usually have an hourly fee 8)

Thanks