It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:32 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

So I have out grown my two little mssV1's and have decided to build something a little more future proof....thing is I am so out of touch with building pc's I hope you guys can give me some advice...

anyway today I recieved most of the inner parts of the build... they are:

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/365/freezer-13-pro.html
My chosen CPU cooler....is massive...one of my reasons for posting.....

http://ark.intel.com/products/61275/Intel-Core-i7-2700K-Processor-(8M-Cache-3_5-GHz)?wapkw=bx80623i72700k
My CPU choice....

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00CEU
My Ram choice.....

I am proberbly going to get the fractal designs define mini case http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=58
and a coolermaster silent pro m psu http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=4199

I want to run a few 3tb segate barracudas also..... do i need a raid card or should i use onboard raid?
is there anything i am blatently missing? or something that will make the build even better?

Please help.....

thanks

Lee

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:37 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

here is a piccy of so far if it helps?Image

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:25 am 
Founder
Founder

You haven't told us what you plan to use the server for or how you plan to back up your storage, which has an impact on the hardware recommendations. Core i7 seems overkill to me unless you're really running a lot of tasks on the server. I'd suggest reading some of the other DIY builds and seeing what people are doing for storage redundancy and hardware.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:46 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
You haven't told us what you plan to use the server for or how you plan to back up your storage, which has an impact on the hardware recommendations. Core i7 seems overkill to me unless you're really running a lot of tasks on the server. I'd suggest reading some of the other DIY builds and seeing what people are doing for storage redundancy and hardware.

Hello Alex,

thankyou for the reply...

this server is going to be used for work (computer back ups etc.) as well as serving up 3d mkvs, transcoding movies on the fly, itunes server, cctv system as well as file serving purposes..photos etc...

what i am really interested in is hard disk setups with whs 2011.....and how to implement them...what i should buy etc....

take today for instance.....I purchased 1 3tb seagate barracuda only to read up that it proberbly wont work because it is beyond the 2.2tb limit of server 2008 that whs is built on!!!!!!!

that is why i started posting on here again.....my old whsv1 was a lot more simple that this!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:55 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

On a side note I have a few hard drives kicking around.....4 or 5 500gb barracudas, 1no 1.5tb, 1no 2.0tb...and the 3tb that will be delivered tommorrow.....oh well i guess for now i am on my own....but I will post a few pictures of the build and explain what i have used and how it works out.....

would love one of the gurus to have told me somthing like.....

get an 80gb ssd for boot....then as many 2tb drives you could lay your hands on....and a rocket raid etc.....

I am clueless so i guess that tommorrow I will put the machine together and throw in all the drives i have and see what happens!!!!

I suppose i cant work out if drivebender, stablebit, or raid (hardware or software) is the way to go until i hjave seen the machine going.....

If anyone has built a set up and has links to the build....or just knows where build links are i would love to read them,
the ones online i have read do not seem to be in the same domain as this build....please help!

thanks in advance

Lee

Thanks