4gb DDR2 Ram
650w Antec PSU
Lian Li PC60 Case
nVidia 8600GT PCI-E
1 x 320gb OS drive
2 x 1TB Videos Looking to RAID1

The Plan
RAID
The reason I'm going RAID1 is because I want some redundancy. The drives wont be access all the time. They will be storing old home movies, pictures and will be getting updated along the way.
I was looking to go Software RAID, I was looking at Linux and saw some solutions that give the option to report the SMART errors and also if a drive fails it reports which one. Not looking for hardware as it is only a simple RAID setup so to speak.

Virtualisation
I will be setting up a virtual box on the server, the purpose of this will be to run my TV that the server will be connected to. This is because I want to play media from the server and didn't want to do it directly from the server.

Media Server
I have a PS3 in the home so will be installing the PS3 plugin onto my server. I will also be installing XBMC, this will be used to play files on my TV. In saying this, I have another 2x2TB drives in my Gaming pc that contain all my "Blurays, DVD's, music at present I'm uncertain where this will end up. The drives are not in RAID as I see the only way to do RAID would be RAID5 and that is going to be to expensive with the data continually growing, although I'm open to suggestions.

Backups
I will be doing backups of all my Windows computers using the solution provided by WHS2011. These will also be stored on the RAID1 array, it will include my Server build as well if it is possible.

Plugins
Is there any other plugins I should be using that you would deem as "must haves"?

Do you think this will do the job adequately?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!