It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:50 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

So I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my Home Server.

2XCORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model VS2GB1333D3 G
1XWestern Digital Scorpio Blue WD1600BEVT 160GB 5400 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive for OS
1XMicrosoft Windows Home Server 2011 64-bit OEM System Builder - OEM Item
1XFractal Design Array R2 Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case 300W SFX PSU Power Supply
1XZOTAC H67ITX-C-E LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
1XIntel Core i3-2120T Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz LGA 1155 35W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I32120T
1XWD 3TB Green
3XWD 2TB Green

I am finally up and running with my data migrated to the new server. I am running StableBit Drive pool. I love this new server, it was much need over the EX470. My EX470 served me for over 3 years and the DIY one rocks. I thought about waiting for the new RevoCenter by Acer, but decided that I like the ability to change it and customize it. Plus the Fractal case allows for 6HD and 1SSD/2.5"...7 DRIVES!!!
this server is super quiet as well

Attachments:
IMG_1017.JPG
IMG_1017.JPG [ 2.11 MiB | Viewed 12303 times ]
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank stsmith5150 for this post
yakuza

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:14 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Nice! Thanks for sharing and enjoy your new build.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:19 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks. Your progress mirrors my thoughts. Please allow me to pick your brain.

I'm interested in the same form factor for case and mobo. I was leaning towards the Lian Li and Supermicro for case and board. The key differences I see in your build and my current wish list are:

Your case comes with a power supply. So, while your FD case is expensive, the Lian Li is actually more expensive because if you want a high end PS, you buy that separate. I've been looking at the Gold Level PS because I want to pack this thing with Disks and run it all the time and the Gold PS are expensive. Did any of this factor in to your decision? Do you have any feedback on the PS included with the FD case?

Your Zotac MoBo allows you to pick your own CPU. The SuperMicro has an Atom based CPU installed and appears to be be non-removable. The SuperMicro board also has built in RAID for Windows. I'm interested in the Atom based CPU for low power consumption and I'm probably going to wait for this new Milstead Atom CPU to come out from Intel (if I can stand to wait that long!). Did you look at the SuperMicro before going with the Zotac and i3 combo?

Of course, the big difference is you have your new WHS box and I'm still on my old MSS and I'm waiting until I can't stand it anymore. Congrats on your build.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:10 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Well it comes with 300watt and the zotac also let's you stagger the hard drive startup. This allows you to not draw all the watt starting up hard drives.

I choose the i3 2120 which is the 35watt processor. I am very happy with my setup. Boots headless and all drivers work. Copying is heaven. I get 90mbits over network and USB 3 gives me 55

Thanks