It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:10 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I just made a couple purchases off eBay and would like some feedback on my upgrade plan:

I got a pretty good deal on a 3ware 9500S-12 SATA Raid Controller Card PCI-X 12 Port SATA 150 Raid Card as well as a Rosewill RSV-S5.

I currently have a WHS V1 with right around 12TB of space. I have duplication on for all of my data, and am almost full. So, I have about 5.5TB of actual data.

Several months ago, I had my system drive die on me, and after a transplant, and some touch and go moments, I was able to put a new system drive in there, and get things running again. The machine is working, but things just havent been then same ever since. So, not missing the signs that its time to tinker and upgrade, I thought that the time might be right to put 2011 on the box. While I am at it, I want to put in at least 8Gb of memory, to allow me to run some virtual machines on the network.

So, with this in mind, I hit eBay and found a decent deal on the Rosewill RSV-S5, and then purchased 5 2TB WD Gren drives from Newegg. My thoughts are to run all 5 disks in JBOD mode and use the box as purely off-site storage taking in back and forth with me to work once a month or so. So,

Question 1: Does anybody see any problems with using the RSV-S5 with the WD green drives in JBOD as a back-up device?
Question 2: Will I be able to plug the RSV-S5 into another esata port on a another machine and see/read the data, or will I need to do anything special?

Once I have my data backed up, I want to upgrade the memory, and then move forward with 2011, but I am not sure what to do with the current disks in the machine. They are all sizes (mostly 1.5 and 2TB drives), but all different makes/manufacturers...so not having drive extender is a blow, but I have a older RAID card, the 3ware 9500S-12 SATA Raid Controller, and was wondering about using this, again in JBOD to create a large disk from the mess, and then just rely on my external (off-site) box as my backup solution. So,

Question 3: Anybody have experience using the 3ware 9500S-12 SATA Raid Controller?
Question 4: Any other thoughts?

Thanks Everyone!!

13 TB, mixed drives
400+ DVDs and 80 BD ripped using MakeMKV

~My beautiful wife is always asking me if I love my computers more than her...I don't understand it!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:30 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I'm a little confused about your statement that you want to add RAM to your server box so you can get into virtualization. But it sounds like you are going to run WHS 2011 on the box. I don't think I would attempt to run VMs inside of WHS2011. It's not really designed to be a host to VMs.

You could do it the other way, which is something I'm exploring and you've talked about on a different thread...Build a true virtual host server like ESXi, Citrix or Windows 2008. And then run WHS 2011 inside of that box. Use your 3Ware card to manage true RAID inside of the host box, assuming it's supported by something like ESXi.

Stringing your Rosewell Box to this server would still require some thought. I assume it could be done, but it all depends on the direction you're going.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:54 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks for your thoughts! My biggest hang-up right now is making a backup of my data. I added 5, 2tb drives to the Roswell in a RAID 5, but the darn green drives aren't designed for a RAID environment so I am having problems. I am assuming that I will have the same problems with the 3ware card... And using disks approved for RAID environments limit me to space and $$. Not only that my current crop of HDDs in my WHS consist of a mixed bag of stuff... Which is why I was leaning to JBOD of some sort with an external backup. My current server is running so slow that it is driving me crazy... And I am scared to death of losing data before I can get it backed up.

13 TB, mixed drives

~My beautiful wife is always asking me if I love my computers more than her...I don't understand it!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:12 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

why are you saying there are issues with the Green drives and RAID? Is this explicitly stated somewhere? Or is it reflective of the issues you are having?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

OK, after a little break, I am back and want to make a good effort to get my server into a nice place. I am really still at stage 1, and would like to request some brainstorming effort from the smart folks who hang out here... I think I am just too close to the problem to see a good solution. ](*,)

My goal: Run a DIY WHS 2011 with as little fuss as possible and as much space as possible and provide protection for my data (isn't that all of our goals?).

What I have right now to use in this endeavor:

- I also have a spare desktop to use

- I have a 3ware 9500S-12 SATA Raid Controller Card PCI-X 12 Port SATA 150 Raid Card

- I have a Rosewill RSV-S5

- I have four more, 2Tb HDDs; two WD Green, one WD Black, and one Seagate

- I have time

- I have alcohol :beerme:

- A WHS V1 with 13.5 Tb of space, 11.2 Tb used, roughly 5.4 Tb of which is duplication files. The drives are a hodge-podge of drives.

So with these parts, I need to figure out the best way to back-up my current data (about 5.5 Tbs worth), and create a new 2011 server using the best parts, still have a back-up solution for the server data (maybe a separate machine or the Rosewell?) and do so without incurring any more cost... any takers on the next step?

Oh, and for whats its worth, I can get the Rosewell to run a full RAID 5 with five 2 Tb drives, but NOT a JBOD larger than 2 Tb... not sure why and the help desk said it couldn't do JBOD larger than that...

13 TB, mixed drives

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:38 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

This probably sounds simplistic, but my first thought (without giving it too much thought) would be to use the Roswell as a pure backup solution to the V1 and then restore to the V2 (Version 1 and Version 2). The Roswell is the only thing you'll have that can back up 5TB of data.

I know there are many other details, but let's try this for starters.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:29 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Agreed, have to do the math, but to get enough space On the Rosewell I will have to do a RAID 5 (doesn't support JBOD past 2 Tb) which means matching disks... Which means buying another 2 tb, or removing a 2 tb from the current server. Once everything is backed up, then I might. E able to remove the bunch of hodge-podge sized disks from the server and install them into the desktop using windows fake RAID and move the data from the Rosewell to there... That would then free up eight 2 Tb drives and i can then use my true RAID card in the server for my upgrade. I hate the thought at how long it's going to take to move that much data three times.... And a little scared at losing data along the way....

13 TB, mixed drives

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:43 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Ok, just did a re-eval, I CAN do RAID 0 (striping) and with that will have enough space using the four 2 Tb disks... they have been initialized and I started moving data over. First run is my music folder... 60 gigs, data copy time is at 80 min... we shall see. If it works, I will try moving over my movies folder...

13 TB, mixed drives

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:08 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Where is no backup value from WHS v1 to WHS2011. WHS is really easy to set up. You just have a clean install, install several 3rd party software and re-link the shares. I can rebuild a new WHS in a couple of hours.

Thanks