It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:32 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Wow. Spent about a week reading up on WHS 2011 as I finally decided to at least step up a notch for my EX 495. Lots of great tips and help around as many have already done so. Pretty much figured out and planned how to set up, migrate, replace DE and learned all about these things. Oh forgot, how to get new add-ins to replace my old faithfuls?

NOT!

Grid Junction? NO!
Remote Alert? NO!
Disk Management? NO! (Might not need it anyhow with Drive Pool)
Remote Notification NO! (Also appears to be built in Health alerts)
P80? hehehe. Still use that one. Long abandoned even on V1!
WHS BDBB - builit in .
Asoft Auto-Exit? YES!!!

LED Lights Manager will be also needed and thankfully available.
Sure going to feel a little naked after using these great utilities for so many years.
I hope some of their functionality and usefullness in contained in 2011 itself.
But I guess I finally am going to take the plunge this week and say goodbye to V1.
Even though it may extend the EOL a little, I still feel abandoned!

Thanks Microsoft!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:41 pm 
Founder
Founder

WHS 2011 has the ability to email health alerts, but not all the features I included in Remote Notification. As you noted, some of the Add-Ins you listed aren't necessary, but to me it speaks more to the lack of consumer interest in WHS 2011.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
580guy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:21 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

That's true, Alex. It's not really Home Server any more. Just for all us diehards and enthusiasts here. Not a big enough market for MS. Still sad to see it go. Just struck me instead of the usual excitement of "upgrading" it is a little bittersweet.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:39 am 

yakuza wrote:
WHS 2011 has the ability to email health alerts, but not all the features I included in Remote Notification. As you noted, some of the Add-Ins you listed aren't necessary, but to me it speaks more to the lack of consumer interest in WHS 2011.

Can you please elaborate on how WHS 2011 can email health alearts? Is this by using an Add-Ins?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:03 am 

From the Dashboard click on the Alerts option to the left of Server settings. A new window will open up listing any active alerts and in the lower left corner you will see the option to Setup email notifications and alerts.

Attachment:
WHS2011-Email Notifications.JPG
WHS2011-Email Notifications.JPG [ 61.73 KiB | Viewed 41077 times ]

While it does somewhat work it doesn't always seem to report everything. I have 2 WHS2011 servers running and both are configured to send email alerts. If your running WHSv1 with Remote Notification which does an outstanding job of reporting issues do not expect the same result.

Aside from that if your setting up WHS2011 and run either Drive Bender or Stablebit Drive Pool your going to like it very much but I would advise you to setup a dedicated backup drive for the OS which will make Server Recoveries a joy but if your running WHS2011 on a headless server like an HP MSS or Acer EasyStore then I recommend also you install a DEBUG Board.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:40 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Here is something that I found very useful to expand the Health alerts from WHS 2011. In your event log viewer, you can right click on an event, and choose "attach task to this event". Then you can choose "start a program" which will run a script file to send an email alert to you whenever a certain event gets logged. There is an option to send an email, but this won't work if you are using an SMTP server.

So check out this command line program called SendEmail.exe here:
http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/

Here is an example doing a script for notification if someone logs onto your computer:
http://www.howtogeek.com/123568/how-to- ... -computer/

If you know your email to text address for your cell phone provider, it will even send a text message to your phone,

On my system, I have an occasional problem of my drives dropping offline in my port multiplier. I have found now I get warnings before it happens to allow me to log in and reboot the server in necessary.

This has really proved to be uselful for me and greatly expanded the health notifications for WHS 2011. (I sure miss the great Add-in we had on WHS v1 that Alex wrote.) Hope you might find this useful.

Thanks