All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Re: Stablebit Drive Pool
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:19 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
Comp1962 wrote:
When I tested Drive Bender it seemed way too complicated for what IMO should be an easy and straightforward process. Stablebit and Datacore are next on my list, but been loving the feedback Stablebit is getting

You can't really compare Drive Bender with Stablebit, as DB is intended for all windows operating systems, not just WHS 2011, as is the case with Stablebit (I believe).

Not sure about Datacore.

Drive Bender is getting there - seems to be a lot of improvements with the latest (v1.1.6.1) release.

Drive Bender is fairly easy to use, and very intuitive providing you understand the basics.

It'll be interesting how many people are split between the various offerings :-$

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:25 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I just thought I would give an update to where I stand with Stablebit Drivepool. I now have all the folders on the drive pool including the Whs Standard Folders. The machine runs well at about twice the speed of my WHS v1 and the performance section of the beta hasn't started yet. Now, I am running on an EX485 with EX495 bios, E5700(3ghz), 4gig memory, 2 2TB drives and 2 3TB drives. I am using the same data with additions that I started the beta with and recovery from problems has been quite remarkable. I am up to 4TB of data and have been monitoring size, content and volume, comparing to data on the production server. I just find it remarkable to have no major issues with the data through beta testing, hardware failures and lighting strikes and power outages. I just put on a UPS with the last power outage since I feel my luck will run out sooner or later. I find the use of Drivepool to be much like DE and V1 without the downside of the V1. The design of Drivepool seems to be bullet proof so far with recovery very easy when you know what to do. The guidance of the developers(Alex) has been invaluable in making it to where I am today.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank erail for this post
msawyer91
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:19 pm 

When the license expired in my test server so too did my testing of Stablebit. I reinstalled WHS2011 into my test server and decided to wait for the M4 release before I reinstall it but I still continue to follow the progress of Stablebit.

From my testing I found it to be stable, user friendly and very easy to use. As I have mentioned in the past I noticed that the data transfer speeds were slow which is why I chose to wait for the M4 release because thats when I antisipate the performance issue to be addressed.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:54 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
I have to try this next. I have Drive Bender set up but didn't get to spend too much time with it (although not but any means difficult it is a little discouraging that I need to read through setup instructions or give some thought just to set up a pool, something that was always a no brainer in v1)

After reading your thoughts on DB, and erail's success with StableBit, I decided to go the latter route and install StableBit. I also checked out both sites, and after reading what was available and checking out the screen shots available, StableBit just seem to be more "complete." Not that Drive Bender looked bad, but StableBit looked like a more robust, mature application. I installed it, configured a pool and immediately dropped half a terabyte onto it. It balanced things out real nice. It logs some funky errors in the event log, but the stack traces are unreadable because they obfuscated the .NET code.

Anyhow, they'e done some nice work! Hopefully they get the next beta posted because this one expires in three weeks.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:56 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

erail wrote:
I just thought I would give an update to where I stand with Stablebit Drivepool. I now have all the folders on the drive pool including the Whs Standard Folders. The machine runs well at about twice the speed of my WHS v1 and the performance section of the beta hasn't started yet. Now, I am running on an EX485 with EX495 bios, E5700(3ghz), 4gig memory, 2 2TB drives and 2 3TB drives. I am using the same data with additions that I started the beta with and recovery from problems has been quite remarkable. I am up to 4TB of data and have been monitoring size, content and volume, comparing to data on the production server. I just find it remarkable to have no major issues with the data through beta testing, hardware failures and lighting strikes and power outages. I just put on a UPS with the last power outage since I feel my luck will run out sooner or later. I find the use of Drivepool to be much like DE and V1 without the downside of the V1. The design of Drivepool seems to be bullet proof so far with recovery very easy when you know what to do. The guidance of the developers(Alex) has been invaluable in making it to where I am today.

Thank you for doing all this hard work and posting your detailed results! There are probably quite a few of us, myself included, benefiting from the fruits of your labors.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:27 am 

Stablebit Drive Pool is very promising and I think your will like it very much. I played with it on my test server, pulled drives out while running, put them back in, pulled them out, removed them missing from the drive pool and it just worked well. I found it more flixible than the DE in WHS v1.

I do not know what the other 2 DE Replacement Add-Ins have to offer or how they actually function but having run Stablebit Drive pool I see no immediate need to look any further at another solution. My feeling is if the software was that good in Beta and continues to improve why look any further.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:05 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

M4 is nearing completion. Here's an update from Alex on what it is looking like:

http://blog.covecube.com/2011/12/a-tour ... l-beta-m4/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:03 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Drivepool is out of beta. Does anyone still use this? There hasn't been any activity in this thread in quite a while.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:57 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have 3 machines running drive pool and it works much better than WHS V1. I have been testing it from the beginning and never lost any data or had anything corrupted, it's been a fantastic experience.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:35 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I've also been using it for a few months now and it is working great!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:19 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Does anyone know of any conflicts or any reason you should not run Stablebit Drive Pool on a WHS2011 server that is also running PerfectDisk 12?

I have ordered a Drobo and once it arrives I was thinking of transfering all of my data to the MicroServer, Connecting the Sans Digital 4bay USB tower to the MicroServer and Retiring the HP Data Vault.

I would have the MicroServer connected to, 1 Sans Digital 4 bay eSata tower, 1 Sans Digital 4 Bay USB tower and, 1 4bay USB Drobo (For Backups)

There would be a total of 12 data hard drives backing up to the Drobo.

Not to mention the fact that, all of the shared folder would be backing up to KeepVault. ( Come to think of it! Are there any known issues with Stablebit Drive Pool and KeepVault?)

I'm thinking that using the Stablebit Drive Pool add-in would make drive & Folder managment much more simple.

Regards
Chris

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks