It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:06 pm 

I have an EX490 that I have nursed through drive failures, power supply failure, etc. It still works great. I, however, am getting old and dumb. The System disk was showing signs of going bad so I started a process to replace it. In an abundance of not-paying-attention, I accidentally set the server OS system backup process to back up to one of the 3 internal storage drives. And ran the backup. I use StableBit DrivePool, and had three 2TB drives in the pool. So as far as I can tell, one of the three drives was immediately ripped out of the pool and converted to a backup drive. I'm not freaking out too much because all the valuable info was backed up daily to Crashplan.

But I'm wondering - did I lose anything? Or does DrivePool automatically keep duplicates on separate disks, so long as multiple disks are available? Asked differently, was every file that was on the storage drive duplicated on one of the other two disks (that are still fine)? I can't recall how it works because I have not had to worry about it in so long.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:22 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I can't speak for win 2011 server.
But StableBit DrivePool, is dependent on your settings meaning if you did not elect x2 for duplication then is is just a single copy.
I would look at your settings in drivepool and see what it says.
If it was rebuilding the time has passed now. But look at what it sees as drives and used space.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:05 am 

Thanks - I have duplication turned on. I downloaded the most recent backup from Crashplan and did a compare of what is currently on the server with the most recent backup, and it looks like everything is there. Now back to changing the system drive (carefully).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:46 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Wow, that was a close call, but having a good backup is always a good idea. Good on you.
I have server 2012E and it also backs up the os drive.

I use two ssd mirrored for the os and I have a 1 tb red that is just for backups.
I have (2) 4tb reds in drive pool set to have duplication on.

My point is I would use a 500 gig / 1 tb just for backups. I also am not a cloud fan, so I keep my backups in house.

Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:10 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Don't forget that you still need enough freespace if you are using storage on the os drive.
But I have only used dedicated pool driveswith the removal tool. If you are using some space from your os drive I am not sure how that works.
But when you replace the os and have stabilbit running again the drive pool should read the drives and add everything back by reading some hidden files on each pool drive. And make the missing duplicates.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks