It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:28 am 

Hi there,

I thought I start the new year with finally purchasing an external hdd to backup all my TV shows, movies, music and pictures.
After trying to set up the backup in the WHS 2011 admin panel and a bit of googling I saw that WHS can't use bigger than 2tb hdds for backups.

I hope that someone can tell me if this is still the case or if there is a 3rd party plugin I could use to set up the back up.

The server is a pure media server and does not contain any other backups from other PCs etc.

I am more than grateful for any help and suggestions,

Kind Regards,

Jan

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:28 pm 

That's an OS Limitation.

If you connect the drive and its setup as GPT then do you see 3725.7gb formatted capacity? If so then you should be able to copy your files manually to the drive to create the backup you want. From that point on you can also just copy the files you want to the drive when you move them to the server which is not automated but it will work.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:21 am 

Probably to late for you but...There is a lot of misunderstanding about the 2TB limitation of WHS2011. In fact, the only 2TB limitation with WHS 2011 Server Backup is that it will not backup _volumes_ (partitions) in excess of 2TB.

So, if your WHS 2011 Server has, say, a 3TB drive formatted as one partition, you are SOL, it will not back it up (there is a hack for this but it will still fail if the actual amount of data on that volume is in excess of 2TB). However, if you partition it as 1x2TB and 1x1TB (or 2x1.5TB etc) and then, for instance, use DrivePool to create a Pool of 3TB, WHS 2011 Server Backup _will_ backup the two partitions. (If you use DrivePool _and_ duplication, you need some planning in doing this right).

At the end of the day, you are only limited by (a) the size of the Server Backup HDD, (b) the Server Backup HDD be a 512n or 4K/512e (AF) HDD and (c) no _volume_ on the Server to be backed up should be larger than 2TB.

I am backing up happily to an 8TB HDD the OS and 2 2TB drives.

Thanks