It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: System Drive C: Full
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:08 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hey All,

I am running Windows Home Server 2011 and when I did the original install/setup, it appears the C: drive was set up with 60GB as the system disk. Does this sound right?

Anyway, now it's full - and, it should only have system files, from what I know. I went to do a Windows update and realized there wasn't enough room to install them.

On the other drives and on the system, I'm using StableBit Drive Pool and there is still 488GB free on my 4 drives (or, 122 per drive).

How can I increase the system drive or at least be able to install further updates??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - or, perhaps I didn't provide enough info, if so let me know!

Thank you, greatly!!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: System Drive C: Full
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:55 pm 

If you have server folders on the system drive move them to your Drive Pool to free up the entire data partition on your system drive then you can easily expand the System Drive Partition. If you completely free up the drive you can also delete the data partition and just use the entire drive for the System allowing you ample space to grow your system.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:12 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
If you have server folders on the system drive move them to your Drive Pool to free up the entire data partition on your system drive then you can easily expand the System Drive Partition. If you completely free up the drive you can also delete the data partition and just use the entire drive for the System allowing you ample space to grow your system.

I have 4x2TB drives - so, if I'm understanding correctly, you're saying to move the folders on the 1 2TB drive that includes the system drive? If that's the case, I need to add some external capacity.

I included an image/attachment.

Am I understanding your right? Or, is there another alternative - to at least extend this C: drive to accommodate future OS updates?

Thanks!

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 8.07.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 8.07.28 PM.png [ 33.28 KiB | Viewed 7163 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:57 am 

Yes you understand correctly. If you have ample space available on your system drive you could shrink the partition and then expand the system partition and not move anything off that drive.

As for you existing pool I would look at a larger drive say a 3 or 4TB Drive to replace one of your existing storage pool drives. I think I would approach it by shutting the server down, connect the drive you want to remove externally and install the newer larger drive then boot the server. Once the server has booted I would then setup the drive for use with the server setting it up GPT then formatting it as a single partition and then add it to the storage pool. Next just remove the external drive from the pool and you can do so quickly where the files will be copied later or you can have stablebit copy the files first then remove it from the storage pool.

Of course if you want to add an external enclosure then you can do it but if you want to keep your storage pool within the server then the way I described swapping drives out would be your best bet. You could use a USB or eSATA, docking station, cable or singe drive enclosure to connect a drive externally to the server. I personally like the docking station but I also use a USB cable connection which supports both IDE, and SATA drives for easy portability and yes I actually still run into IDE drives so that cable comes in very handy for 2.5 and 3.5" drives.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:32 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thank you all for the great information - I will be looking to expand, aside from the C: drive, I'm limited in my overall storage capacity.

I found where most of the data on the C: drive is, I have 37.3GB (4,206 files, 64 folders) in my C:\Windows\Temp folder. Would it be safe to delete all the files in this folder?? This would free up a lot of room until I can replace a drive an expand my system drive allocation.

Just wanted to run this by the experts!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:06 am 

You can safely image the System Drive to a new one to increase its capacity for whatever reason you may have for doing do. If your looking to just expand the Storage Pool do you have enough room in the server to add another drive without having to add external drives? Not sure if your server is a build or upgraded WHSv1 Server.

I would also consider looking at using larger then 2TB Drives to increase your storage pool size but for the OS you will need to stay at or below 2TB but you only need a System Drive large enough to hold the OS and any applications you add to the server that will reside on the OS Partition. Personally I do not use my WHS2011 System Drive for the Storage Pool but this is my preference and yours may be quite different.

I am about to build several WHS2011 Servers and in those builds there will be a couple 2.5" Drives, one for the OS and the other for OS Backups leaving 8 x 3.5 Bays for Storage Pool operation which will be more than enough for the average home user. The reason for the OS Backup drive is for Server Recoveries but this can also be done with an external drive.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks