It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:22 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi All,

Just wanted some help understanding where i'm going wrong. I've NEVER once been able to do a BMR from my WHS.

I have 2 machines that are religiously backed up and have been running WHS 2011 on my EX495 for almost 2 years.

I've tried to restore my desktop from a BMR several times now and have given up all these times which prompt the question why do I bother with WHS.

Here's what I tried...

-Booting form windows 7 to the recovery partition, selecting advance and pointing to a system image pointed it to my media sever \\media typed user name and password. Got an error (not surprising didn't think there was an image file)

-Create bootable USB from the WHS dashboard during the boot of from the USB I get 0xffc3b477. I do have my machine booting in Legacy rom (bios mode) EFI was disabled, if I choose EFI I get a little further but still get an error.

Only google refrence was this http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/ ... er-backup/

-Tried the WHS 2011 install cd, and chose recovery ends in some other error as well

-Tried the WSE 2012 gives an error because it doesn't like the WHS version.

I don't know what else to try, I've not had any luck either trying to restore my Lenovo T420 before. I was however successful in restoring my WHS boot disk form my removable media HD that is backing up that disk as the boot disk recently shredded it's self. :crazy: :rofl:

So any help would be STELLAR!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:25 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Bump!?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:17 pm 

Your mentioning many things here to get a recovery done. First lets clarify what your trying to do then we can sort things out. I get the initial impression your trying to recover a client (short for computer) that was being successfully backed up daily on a WHS2011 server.

If this is the case then what you need is the PC Recovery Software for WHS2011 and not another OS. Basically you boot the client you wish to restore from the PC Recovery Disk, answer a few questions like is it a 32 or 64 Bit Restoration and then the drivers will load. Here the important driver that needs to be loaded is the NIC Driver. If there is no valid NIC Driver loaded then you will not be able to recover the client. I run into this most often with WHSv1 not so much WHS2011. The other thing to note is the hard drive in the client must be in good working order for the recovery to be successful. During the recovery procedure it you select a custom recovery you will see an option for Disk Management. Often I will select this and wipe out the partitions on the Drive and then go back and perform a Full Recovery. The last thing worth noting is the Drive in the Client if its a new drive must be the same size or larger then the original drive that was being backed up.

So lets recap this:

(1) You need the PC Recovery Disk for WHS2011 as that's the only software that can recovery your computers from WHS2011

- Note: If your using other software to backup your clients to your WHS2011 server then you need to use that software.

(2) The recovery needs the NIC Driver which may or may not be loaded. If its loaded your good and if not then you need to install the driver.

(3) The hard drive in the client must be the same size or larger then the original for the recovery to work otherwise it will be rejected.

(4) If your performing a full recovery and the drive size is the same or larger and already has an installed OS on it but fails simply delete the partitions on the drive and try again.

(5) The drive your trying to restore must be in good working order. Never recover to a drive with issues or you will continue to be plagued with issues. Test the drive out to make sure its in good working order.

I perform recoveries all the time using WHSv1, WHS2011, WS2012E and by far the backup and recovery solutions for Windows Server Systems has been the best solution for me. Every computer I service gets backed up and returned to the customer with their full knowledge its been backed up. I will hold the backups for about 1 yr before deleting them providing the person ample time to create their own backup solution. Often if an issue arises and a unit is returned could be a hard drive failure or in most cases a child causing some sort of corruption or installing an infected file or what have you but regardless if a recovery is necessary I will do it and it takes less then 1 hour if their computer has a gigabit port longer if it has a 10/100 NIC.

I also have redundant notebooks here with a master backup for those notebooks which I can recover a hard drive on and send out it out to get people out of trouble without having to send me the notebook. I believe I can even recover a backup using a different computer and when done the recovered hard drive may not work in the unit its installed in but will work in the client its setup for.

Point I am trying to make here is the Windows Server Backup and Recovery software for clients works out well and since you have WHS2011 I can tell you the same is true if you have a dedicated server backup drive setup for the day you want or need to recovery your server. Its bullet proof. I have placed many servers in homes just for client backups and its very cool to see those who run into issues perform their own recoveries and when that happens you see the true value in having a server. Anything else you do with it is a bonus.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:00 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hello,

Thank's for your answer, I didn't have the CD anymore, but I was able to get one from my MSDN subscription. Anyways, moving forward I run in to the exact same issue that I was having from the USB, the only difference is it asks me weather to recover 32 or 64 bit.

When Booting from the USB, ClientRestoreWizard.exe and a normal error message than 0xc0000025

The problem is I cannot select a network card or anything because this is the first thing that is displayed before the WINPE environment even loads (WINPE being the recovery disk), so the first thing you see after you get a mouse and and the windows look you see that.

Now the only caviate is this machine is using a raid 0 configuration for the primary disks, but regardless of that, it shouldn't matter since I also get that same error on my Lenovo T420 when I boot form that USB key....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:20 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ok I made progress kind of!!

I broke down and burned the ISO to a DVD and booted form the CD, this time I was able to get MUCH further than I was previously trying to boot from USB that was created. Instead of erroring out, I was able to load the NIC drivers, load the disk drivers however, when it was about to start the restore I got this error message again.

see the attached error picture.

Clientrestorewizard_fresh.exe application error

The exception cannot continue
windows Cannot continue from this exception.
(0xc0000025) occurred in the application at location 0xffa45a70.

Click on OK to terminate the program.

Attachments:
File comment: Error message
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 749.76 KiB | Viewed 9818 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:03 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ok moving forward more progress, I don't know how or why but I believe the system reserved partition is corrupt in the backup some how. I tried on my spare laptop to restore and it gets the issue however, when I select to restore from my T420 lenovo it was able to do the system reserved.

Now that I've moved past that, there is more to this story, my WHS boot drive failed on the 25th of sept. I returned home on the 30th, replaced the disk and restored from back up. After the recovery, there was only two backup recovery options listed 2 for my desktop PC (with one incomplete) from June 11th and 2 for my Lenovo from the same time frame. This is aprox when I noticed that I was having issues with the boot disk. I promptly removed the client backup files off that disk and excluded it form the drive pool to make sure that the client backup files were not affected.

It seems that obviously may they where...

Does anyone know if there is a way to scan all my dat files and return the incremental backups that were performed since the June 6th. I had it backup up every night and day, but those back up's seem to have disappeared.

Thanks