It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:17 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

My EX470 was showing its age, so I bought WHS2011 and the HP Proliant N54L and have spent most of the week getting it all set up. Everything is working well now except that I can't configure backups for the server. (Client backups are working fine.) When I click the link in the dashboard to set up server backups, it opens a new window that shows:

"Loading data. This may take a few minutes..."

And it stays like that... For hours. I left it overnight and nothing happened. If I hit cancel, the screen stays there as well. I can close it by clicking the x from the task bar. I tried again after rebooting the server and no change. I could not find any relevant entries in event viewer.

Any ideas?

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Please pardon any typos!)

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:28 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Still showing "Loading data. This may take a few minutes..." for 48 hours now. No one has any suggestions?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:10 pm 

Not quite sure what it is your seeing but when configuring a server backup as I recall on WHS2011 I know you will need a dedicated drive to create the Server Backup on so do you have a drive in the server that's not being used that you can configure the server backup?

This weekend I will resume testing WHS2011 on an EX470 and EX485 to see how viable the OS would be on these server systems and to determine what issues one would have to overcome. The other thing I want to look into is the use of an IcyDock Device to configure the OS Drive in a RAID 1 Mirror Configuration.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:30 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Thanks for your reply. Here's more info:

Client backups are working fine, but in the Dashboard under Computers and Backups, there is a warning that the server has not been configured for backup. I click the link under tasks that says, "Customize Backup for the server" and a dialog box opens that says:
Server Backup: "Loading data. This may take a few minutes..." and it shows the the useless "progress bar" that just shows a green blob moving across it.... perpetually. I have left it in this state for days and it never goes any farther.

I do have an empty 500 GB drive in one of the bays. I am assuming that this server backup is for backing up the server system (OS) drive and does not need to be very big. I am running StableBit Drivepool and have duplication enabled for all the shares. Client computer backups are going to a separate drive which is not pooled or duplicated. I did not add the 500GB drive to the pool either since I was planning on using it for the server backups.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:37 pm 

I will resume working on WHS2011 on an EX470 this weekend and at that time I will look at the OS Backup Drive configuration. While I am not sure I do recall there was something about Shadow Copies being active that was causing me issues when I last ran WHS2011 but I am uncertain if it caused OS Backup issues or not. What I do remember is getting the OS Backup configured was not all that difficult and that the setup for WS2012E is much the same.

I will play with the EX470 running WHS2011 to see how the Server Backup works out to see if I run into the same issues you mention. In the mean time I would review the event logs to see what if anything you may be able to find relating to the Server Backup Setup. You may find something there or nothing at all or something which the meaning is hard to figure out but its a starting point. Also if you have HSS2013 installed what if anything does it tell you about the health of your System and Backup Drive?

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:54 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Nothing in event viewer, and I haven't been able to find anything like this by searching Google either. I noticed when I was looking at event viewer, there is something in the Server Manager Console for "Windows Server Backup" (under Storage) so I have clicked on that and it shows "Reading data; please wait..." so we'll see if that goes anywhere.

I do not have HSS2013, but I do have StableBit Scanner (trial) installed and it is showing a SMART warning on one of my drives, however it says it is not predicting imminent disk failure. The warning is for 19 reallocated sectors. I have known about this for a while when the drive was in my old server and the number has not increased in more than a year. I am going to click ignore warning and see what that does...

Do you have a link for HSS2013? Not sure what that is and Google not giving me clues without the full name.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:07 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I found HSS2013. I had that on my old WHSv1 server. Didn't put it on the new one because I was going to use Stablebit Scanner since it works alongside DrivePool. I have 23 days before I need to purchase it, though, so if you have thoughts on that I'd love to hear 'em.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:27 pm 

I could never form an opinion good or bad with Stablebit Drive Scanner I thing its value needs to be determined by the person evaluating it for use on their server.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:14 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Well, I have found lots and lots of reports about this same problem, but no solutions, except one person who says he left it "forever" and it finally loaded. Crazy!
https://www.google.com/search?q=windows ... =firefox-a

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:47 pm 

Just a quick note about HSS2011 on an EX470 running WHS2011 is that it does not work for some reason but I still need to slap in a drive to see about using it as a backup drive as I had promised so I am off to do that right now.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:34 pm 

I popped in a drive and it really did not take long to configure the Server Backup to the new drive. Could there be an issue your having with the System Drive that's actually causing the delay in creating the actual backup?

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:30 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I don't think there is any problem with the system drive, but there may be a problem with one of the other drives. I will have to troubleshoot it when I get back from vacation next week.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:57 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Bought a new hard drive and tried to replace the one that was suspect. Still can't move "Client Computer Backups" folder or configure server backups. Also, If I simply remove the disk where "Client Computer Backups" are stored and then try to recreate the missing folder it doesn't work either. In all cases it just sits with a progress bar that never moves. Going to try booting to installation disc and attempt repair of the OS...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:01 pm 

That's a real bummer. I setup 2 WHS2011 servers on EX485s recently and installed backup drives without issue. The only issue I encountered is that neither server liked one drive when it was backing up the OS and this drive was absolutely clean with no issues with the file system or SMART so I was unable to use that drive but it would install as a Backup Drive just not able to use it to store the actual backups and I have no clue as to the reason why.

I certainly hope your able to find a solution for your issue.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:49 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Ah, so I learned there is no repair option on the WHS installation disk like there is for regular Windows. :-( Only an option to restore from an image file, which, of course, I did not have. So I figured I would need to do a clean reinstall. Unfortunately, I jumped in too quickly in a "get it over with" attitude and didn't think to save anything off the system drive first... what a dummy!

Got it reinstalled, though... and server backup is working now. Shared folders are all intact with DrivePool, but I am having to set up all the software from scratch again... Logitech Media Server, Calibre Server, PlayOn, Eye-Fi, etc. What a pain! Biggest pain is LMS. Takes forever to rescan music and import my statistics. I am so mad at myself for being so stupid!

Thanks