It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:19 pm 

Hello,

I have searched everywhere and tired all options but I cannot get the following 3 services to stay running.

Windows Server Addin Infrastructure Service

Windows Server Identity Management Service

Windows Server Server Back up Service

Please can someone help me.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:46 am 

Can you tell me what server your running and confirm its WHS2011.

If you built your server can you list its hardware configuration and what ADD-INs and 3rd party apps your running?

How long have you been running this server and is this a new issue and if so did you install something or update the server?

Do you happen to have a backup drive that may have a backup of the server when it was known to run well?

This will help myself an others figure out what is going on and try to help you with corrective action.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:27 pm 

Hello Comp1962,
Currently running a WHS2011, the box also runs my SABnzbd, Couch potato, Sickbeard, Headphones, Gamez and Lazy Libarian.
Utorrent
Also using Flexraid.
No I do not have a back up from when the server was running well.
Been Running the server fro about 8 months and had the issue once before fixed it but cant remeber what I did.
System is
Norco 4224 Case
ASUS P8Z77-M PRO
Intel Celeron G530
Kingston 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM UDIMM x 2
LSI SAS 2008 x 3

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:14 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Wow, I am in the same boat and I just got started.
I loaded the oem whs 2011 on my DIY x710 and just after adding the second drive all hell broke loose and the server backup services are dead and throwing errors. I have tried everything I can think of, Dang, this is way to easy to break. I'm about ready to wipe it and load 2012 essentials and see if it is any easier to break.
I tried the suff on this page, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/6828.server-backup-service-exception.aspx , but still is broken.
Let me know if you guys figure out anything.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:33 am 

This one has me for sure. The only time I had an issue was when I uninstalled the Stablebit Scanner and it corrupted the Dashboard which *(^^*(* me off. Ended up reinstalling the scanner and contacting the developers who did correct the uninstall issue.

I have been running Highlander Since July 7, 2011 and its been solid. I do not run any larger than 2TB Drives. One part of me wants to try out the newer server software for Microsoft the other part says leave it be and then there is Linux.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:04 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Update: I pulled all the drives except the main OS drive, ( I was going to just wipe the main drive and load 2012) but it just rebooted so I let it boot up and all the errors went away (at least seem to go away) then I formatted all the drives that I had added, to start over. This is a new load so I didn't have any data to lose. As I added the extra drives I made them storage drives (not server backup) and everything is happy so far. I am adding copied data for testing and as soon as I have all that copied over I will add a 500 gig drive for server backups and see what happens.

So at this point, whatever was balled up seem to have fixed it's self by taking the drives away. I will post back if something happens.
Fingers crossed

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:52 pm 

What were the drive you added? Just curious.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:02 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Mix of both (1) 2tb red and (2) Hitachi's 2tb. System drive is a 1tb red.
But I found that the backup services problem came back. So I did some more digging, I think I know what happened, when I first started it up I added the first drive and it wanted me to make it the server backup drive, so I did and did one backup.
Then I decided I didn't want it to be the server backup, I wanted it to be storage/data drive so I pulled it, formatted it and put it back as storage. I think that is when I made it mad, it lost the server backup drive. Why it decided to fall all over itself, only Microsoft knows.
But I think i got it fixed.
I found this:
http://blogchampion.com/2012/01/26/how-to-manually-delete-backups-on-windows-home-server-2011/
I had already cleared the backup logs and now I deleted the backup catalogs and I was able to setup a drive as server backups and it is backing up now.
I am finding that I need to forget what I knew in WHS V1 and just treat it like a file server.
That was fun... :crazy:
I think I will play a bit more then try 2012.
Hope this helps.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:47 am 

Thanks.

Funny you mention the server backup drive. My sister called me about a messed up server backup drive but I never installed one. Told her she needed to add one and to show her I had to use Logme in to get on her computer so she could see what I was talking about by making a connection back to my WHS2011 server.

I ran WHS2011 without any pooling software and was not overjoyed with the way I had to use the drives. When Stablebit Drive Pool was released I installed it, found it to be reliable as I expected it to be and moved all the drives to the storage pool and life has been great ever since.

One of the issues I found with WHS2011 is its attempt to set backs of the drives to the server backup drive unless you disable it or setup a backup drive for that specific drive. This creates a space issue with the server backup drive which could render the OS backups useless. I found this out when I installed an SSD for the System Drive. I wanted to perform a recovery using the server backups which was an not a good experience so I imaged the System Drive to the new SSD. Then I noticed the Server Backup Drive was having issues and as I dug deeper into the situation that is when I discovered the other drives were being backed up to the drive so I had to go through each of the drives to make sure this was not taking place. I then cleaned up the backup drive, reformatted it and set the server backup again and things have been perfect ever since.

The only thing I have left to do with my WHS2011 server is to create a RAID setup for the OS Drive and to add an external 20-24 bay enclosure and configure it for a hardware RAID Setup and then move the data to the new enclosure leaving the data on the existing drives until I feel comfortable with the new expansion box. But this has to be worked into my budget first because funds are somewhat tight but I think I might be able to get this sometime in July 2013.

As for Server2013 I am up in the air on it but I will have to build a test server to run it to see if its the way I should go. For now I am happy with both my WHS v1 and WHS2011 server setups. I have a custom domain and have remote access running on both servers with only 1 internet connection. I have only been able to accomplish this with only 1 router and found it can take 1-2 days to gain access to both servers so as time passed it gets somewhat difficult to accomplish this. I have a new VPN router I plan on installing this weekend and hope I can accomplish this but that's another topic all together.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:19 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Thanks for the info, I just broke the backups again, this is crazy.
I had pulled a drive that two folders were pointing to and in the process of moving things around I broke the server backups again.
I see what you mean on the server backups and drive handling, dang, not smooth at all like whs v1. Whs2011 is a big step backwards in this area.
Well deleting the backup catalog and re setting up the server backups fixed it again, This time I picked just the server/os to backup. I think it's time for drive bender, the pool really makes this stuff work, otherwise your wasting drives and space cause ya have to think of (how much more room will I need for the videos) once I get the pool going, then I got to figure out how to back it up, "reliably" being the key word, I could always trust the non-pooled drive in whs1.

I guess the fix in my case is delete the backups, wow, not a very nice fix. :crazy:

I will install 2012 at some point, but if it breaks this easy there is no way I'm spending 400 buck on it, I hear storage spaces is bad, I hope not.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:29 pm 

Check each drive to see if its tied to the backup or not. I don't use the Shadows and the only thing I have set for backup is the OS Partition. I can not comment on Drive Bender as I never tested it but I do use Stablebit Drive Pool. Not sure which is better but when I was running a Test Server for WHS2011 I also ran Stablebit Drive Pool Beta and saw it had promise. I did run the server with individual drives dedicated for certain types of file and did not find it joyful or easy to use and when Stablebit Drive Pool was released I purchased it and have had no regrets. The one nice thing about Stablebit Drive Pool over DE is its more friendly and tolerant if a drive happens to go missing like when you pull the wrong drive out (Yup done that) and when you pop the drive back in it goes through a repair but its just a joy. I also believe you can have multiple pools but have never mucked around with that part......... yet anyway.

I hope Drive Bender works as well for you as Stablebit Drive Pool has for me.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks