It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:05 am 

At the moment I run WHSv1 on my system but both the orginal drives (Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS, 1TB) having issue's according the home server SMART add-in.
One drive has 892 bad sectors and reallocation events and the system drive has 2 bad sectors and reallocation events.
Both drives are 22 months old.
I'm planning a fresh install of WHS 2011 RTM on my datavault X510 using the guide 'How to Install Windows Home Server Vail on the HP MediaSmart Server' (http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/04 ... rt-server/)
I like to buy a new Hitachi deskstar 7K3000 2TB or a WB black 2 TB as a system disk and a 2 or 3 TB WD red as a pool disk. Not sure of that yet.
My questions:
- When I install WHS 2011 on the new disk do I need to reinstall the connector SW on my desktop PC using the software installation disk I received by my datavault (WHS v1) or do I need other connector software?
-When I run into any problem am I still able to put the old drives back and using the server like before until I figured out what went wrong?
-In some reviews I've seen that the WD black's produce more heat than the Hitachi Deskstar. Is it better to choose the Hitachi or are some other spec's more important for the system disk?

All help would be appreciated

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:24 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Question 1: The connector will be installed through the web page of WHS2011: http://<your server name>/connect or <your server IP address>/connect

Question 2: There is no resilience on WHS2011, 1 or more shares are installed on a specific disk, not on a pool like for WHSv1. If you have several disks, you move some shares to the desired disks. To protect your data, you need a server back-up disk, to which you backup your system and any share you decide to backup too.

I'm not familiar with WD or Desktar disks, hope others will answer.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:24 pm 

Thanks for your reply

VieuxJules wrote:
Question 2: There is no resilience on WHS2011, 1 or more shares are installed on a specific disk, not on a pool like for WHSv1. If you have several disks, you move some shares to the desired disks. To protect your data, you need a server back-up disk, to which you backup your system and any share you decide to backup too.

Maybe my question was not completely clear.
I pull out both 1TB seagate disks from my server and put them aside.
I mount a new harddrive in the server and install WHS 2011 unattendend.
When I run into any problem with this install and can't fix it in time can I put back the old seagate disks and have a functional server for the time being ?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:48 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Simple answer to question 2 (admit I got it wrong the first time), is yes. I did it several times using two sets of disks with two systems I could change at will (even if it was with a EX470, it should be the same with the datavault).

But the return to the old server will be in the condition of your old disks.

Hope I got it right this time.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank VieuxJules for this post
Gumab
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:27 pm 

Ok, thanks agian, that's what I expected.
Only thing I should take care off is the connector software for WHSv1 is different as to WHS 2011.

Thanks