It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: DriveBender
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:29 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I built a custom server with WHS 2011, Drive Bender and 4 hard drives. I created a pool and added the 4 drives and put the folders in the first drive. I added videos to the pool until the first drive was full but the server will not let me add any more data and Drive Bender is not distributing the information across the drives.

Am I doing something wrong or am I trying to make WHS 2011 work like V1?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: DriveBender
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:29 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I've got Drive Bender running on my EX487 and EX490, the latter of which has two separate drive pools. In both servers it's up and running nicely. I guess we're going to need some more details, perhaps with some screen shots, to see what you've got going on.

My off-the-cuff impression is that based on your description, you're still writing data to the first drive itself and not to the pool.

What DB does (and I think StableBit does something similar) is when you add a drive to the pool, it does some clever things behind the scenes, including removing the drive letter/mount point of the physical disk, adding the space to the pool and then recreating an identical drive letter/mount point that's actually part of the pool.

Drive Bender does this so as not to break existing configurations that may be dependent on existing drive letters. It even recreates the folder structure in that drive letter, even though the folders and files could exist anywhere in the pool.

When you add a drive to the pool, it can take several minutes for DB to make its configuration changes, and at least in the earlier versions of DB it was recommended that you reboot after first creating the pool. A fellow member here (I don't recall who) put together a multi-step set of documentation on setting up DB. There were a few different spots where he called for a reboot, and he was quite emphatic about rebooting when instructed to do so.

If you go into Windows Explorer and you find the drive letter containing the files/folders you think you've copied into the pool, does the drive letter in question show the total/available space for just one drive, or for the whole pool? If the former, then it's clear you're writing directly to one drive and not the pool.

Matt

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks