It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: WHS 2011 on EX470
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:44 pm 

I have a heat problem with my HP EX470 and WHS 2011. The CPU is running at 60-65C, I have seen that the max temp for the 1640 is 65C, so I am worried, and the fan noise is bad. Other than that, it is working great!

History:
- I upgraded my HP EX470 memory to 2GB and the CPU to AMD Athlon 64 LE-1640 a couple of years ago, WHS v 1.0, and it worked great. CPU temperature was around 36-40C.
- I upgraded to WHS v 3.0 and it worked great. Same temperature range.
- I upgraded to WHS 2011 and my CPU went crazy hot. It would only stay up a minute or two, but I was able to install SpeedFan and got a CPU temperature reading of 89C before it locked up. Based on this I torn it down and redid the heatsink on the 1640 and it did look like I had a little too much silver 5 heatsink compound on it. I tinted the sink and cpu (didn't know what that was on first go round) and redid the install, and now it is now running at 60-65C. I can keep it at 60 or lower by tweaking the fan speeds with SpeedFan, but the fans are really loud.

I have the following questions for the group:

1. Does anyone know what controls the fan speed on a EX470 running WHS 2011? (if you are not running speedfan). It doesn't appear to work...
2. Is anyone running 2011 on a EX470 or EX475? What temp. are you getting?
3. Should I mod the BIOS to recognize the CPU, does that add anything?
4. Any idea why the CPU would run so much hotter (i.e. 32-bit versus 64-bit?)
5. Any better CPU out there for the EX470? (i.e. low power, higher performance?) I am thinking about an X2, 35 watt, but have not modded the BIOS to deal with that.

Please if anyone has any questions about the EX470, let me know, I have done quite a bit with it :-) Besides the somewhat high temp, 2011 is running great on the box, snappy and stable (with fans at 80-85%).

Thanks!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!