It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Client Alerts?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:12 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I built a new WHS 2011 box, long time v1 user. So I have it up and running, 6 clients. Everything is fine right now but for one minor thing.

On ONE client, in the Launchpad settings, no matter what I try, I can't check to view alerts for both network and local and of course, I don't see network alerts. In Settings, None and Local Only are the only choices, Local and Network is greyed and not selectable. On ALL the other clients I can check it. In the server Dashboard, under Users/View the Account Properties, I have User can view network alerts checked. I have the same password on all clients (old v1 habit), I have all the same policies on all clients as far as I know. On all clients, I needed to turn off autologon, and go with a password in order to CONNECT to the new server, but I have since turned them all back to autologon. I have tried leaving them requiring a password at logon, but that doesn't make the network alerts show up on this ONE either. All the others can see network alerts, although on a couple, I had to fiddle, and in Users/Properties, for some reason, some were checked to allow network alerts and some weren't and I don't remember checking or not checking any when I setup users. I setup users all at one time, before ever connecting any, so went right down the line and just did 'em :)

I must be missing something stoopid on this one, and Murphy's Law, this is the one I really WANT to see network alerts!

Where to look, or what things might affect this? :?

Am I safe removing the user and just setting up again, or isn't there much chance this will fix it?

Tom

Last edited by thosj on Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Client Alerts?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:12 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Well, an update. I had two out of 6 clients that couldn't access Network Alerts. Then I noticed that those same two were the ONLY two, besides the server itself, that showed up in Homegroups. Previously, they all showed up in Homegroup. So I went to every client and undid the entire Homegroup thing. Now I can set Network alerts on all clients fine. Ain't that somethin'!

I have no idea why Homegroup would have anything to do with this. It's not like I did anything different with the two clients that COULDN'T access Network Alerts. The HomeGroup has been setup on my clients for like FOREVER, never an issue. I simply added the server when I finished with the install. I don't know if I should set it up again. I know, I know, Homegroup isn't that great, and I can simply share everything I want to share, but somehow HomeGroup just made life easier and was never an issue........until now. I may try HomeGroup again just to see what I learn. Maybe set it up first on the server, get the new s/n, set up on all the others, and see what happens!!

Any one with an idea, post it up, I'm all ears.

Tom

Thanks