It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:18 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Please help.. new install working well apart from remote web access. Can get to the login page no problem but it keeps telling me that userid/password is incorrect.. which it isn't... even created another account to test and it does the same... tearing my hair out now...

Thanks also any way to chnage the default language on the welcome page on the Remote web access to UK English..?

Thanks in advance

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:15 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

This might sound like a silly question, but did you remember to enable Remote Access on the user account? By default when you create a new user, this is the option, although the Dashboard access is not checked. I reckon it's possible you accidentally checked the radio button to disable the remote access and didn't realize it.

If you've configured a password policy stronger than the default, you may want to double-check that the user accounts all meet that policy requirement, particularly if you changed the policy after user accounts were created.

If you check those and they're all correct, you could try resetting the user's password. Outside of that, I'm not sure what else would be the issue.

As for the UK English, I don't know if you can change the website. If you click the Server Settings button on the Dashboard, there's a couple of language options. One is the region where the server is located, and the other is the language/region of the Administrator. These were likely set when you did the install of WHS 2011. If you did the "blind" install on a MediaSmart Server without a debug cable, this would default to United States. If you installed interactively, you should've been able to choose the region at installation time.

You could try changing these, then re-provisioning the website and see if this changes it. I doubt it, because I changed the server region to United Kingdom and the admin language to Scottish (Gaelic) and other than the date changing in the system tray and the language bar appearing in the taskbar, the server still looks very United States English to me. :(

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:55 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

thanks for the tips.... but i got it sorted !

I had to create a new user via the dashboard rather than thru server manager/ config/ users and groups..... so what is the difference between these two...? i had created a new user via server manager but it didn't show up in users via the dashboard... when i tried to create a new user via dashboard with the same name as via server manager it said the user name already existed.. but it doesn't show in dashboard/ users groups...

am i being very stupid ? :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:02 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

You're not being stupid at all. Creating users through Server Manager is the standard way to create a user, or in a domain configuration you'd use a tool called Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC). WHS doesn't use, nor does it want you to use, these tools.

In WHS v1, Microsoft warned not to use the standard user tools because you could break things. You had to use the Console to create them. If you REALLY knew what you were doing, you could get away with the standard tools.

WHS 2011 is a little more forgiving, I think. You're actually not "forbidden" from using Disk Management, for instance. (Again, you could use it in v1 but you really had to know what you were doing.) Microsoft, when it created WHS v1, intended it to be for a home user who did not have system administration skills. WHS 2011 is, for the most part, intended to be used the same way--through the Dashboard.

When you create a user through the Dashboard, it does more than just create the user account -- it sets up the user's permissions to the shares, grants remote access to the selected components (or denies it if set that way), etc. And, although I have not yet tried it, WHS 2011 may also impose a 10-user limit like WHS v1 did.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks