It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:48 pm 

I finally have WHS 2011 installed on my 495. I've copied all of my files over and am having problems. Not sure if anyone has experience using the WDTV boxes. I recently bought the latest WDTV Live box with the built in wifi. I upgraded from the previous gen. It has a nice new revamped interface and all. When I was using WHSv1, it pulled files like a champ and could see all of my media, thanks to drive extender. Now, with WHS 2011, I have dedicated hard drives for my media.

I have all of my tv shows on it's own drive. When I use my WDTV box to look for files, I choose Media Servers as my location, and then the name of my media server. When it lists the folders, it only lists the folders that WHS 2011 pre makes when you install it, ie the Videos, Recorded TV, Pictures, etc. It won't see the secondary hard drive I have installed with all of my TV shows. I don't want to move all of my TV shows to the primary drive into the videos folder. There must be some way the WDTV box can see the second drive on the server and the shard folder that's on it with my TV shows. Is there a way to maybe link that drive to the videos folder?

Anyone have a clue to what is wrong? I'm so stumped.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:49 pm 

Look under the option for Network Shares on your WD TV Live. I have the 2nd generation device so my unit it older but works quite well. When I looked at Media Servers and looked at my WHS2011 server named Highlander I saw the same thing your mentioning so I toll a look under Network Shares and everything was there.

I built Highlander and put her online on July 7 2011 and do not recall having to do anything special for the WD TV Live. I may have at one time had to enter a User Name and Password but I do not recall any difficulty getting it to work. I have 4 servers running here in the house 2 running WHS v1 and the other 2 running WHS2011.

There are two ways you can access your media on WD TV Live one is of course using Media Servers and the other Network Shares as I recall the Media Servers Option has some quirks to it but Network Shares always works well. I will also mention that I am not running any software like Twonkey or Serviio for DLNA Support because I have no immediate need for streaming to my WD TV Live device it just works.

I also do not recall having to muck around the settings all that much to get it fully funtional basically I set it up and it worked and one time I recall having to reset it up again after a Firmware update but I do not recall having to do this again after the several other firmware updates.

Anyway thats about all the help I can offer you because I really have not run into any difficulty getting it to work with exception to the comparison between Media Servers which I do not use and Network Shares which I do use.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:44 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Comp1962 has it right here. I have two new version WDTV units on our LAN and they work great (before I crashed my MediaServer, but that's another story). Since the server is down, all this is mostly from memory and be slightly inaccurate.

I had both Twonky Media and Windows Media Server showing as active in the Add-in Manager. Twonky let's me easily add folders to the stream without much trouble. I cannot figure out how to add folders to the Windows Media Server, so I don't use it. When I select "Media Server" in the Select Content Source, and pick the Windows Server, I only get partial content from the default shares. If I select the other option (who's exact description I can't recall) this selects the Twonky Server, which does display all defined content.

All that said, I agree with Comp that the Network Share option provided better results.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:24 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

If your using Network Shares and enable guest mode under Users, you have to add the shares read permissions to the guest account so that you will see them on the WDTV. If this is working properly then if the files are on the server, you will see them right away on the WDTV because you are pointing to the share. When you click on a file on the WDTV is like downloading a file so if there is a temporary disconnect from the server, you will drop what you are watching. If you use Twonky, then the shares have to be added to Twonky so that they can be available. Twonky streams the file to the WDTV so there's a buffering of data so unlike the previous option, you calud have an intermitted drop in data transfer, but because it's buffered, you won't loose what you viewing, less stuttering if the server is busy. Problem with Twonky is that unlike the shares, even though the files exist on the share, Twonky has to index all the files so that they appear on the WDTV, you can force the indexing by going into the Colsole and setting and Twonky and choose Maintenance and rebuild database. Make sure that your TV folder shows up in Media Sharing Folders. I don't use the built in DLNA server under the Media Sharing tab in Console,setting because then it's duplicated on the WDTV, set that to off.

Thanks