It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:37 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I liked how in WHS v1, the users had a dedicated "Documents" folder that was just for them. This was taken out in WHS 2011. I'm trying to replicate that by making separate folders in the "Documents" share and giving the WHS users permissions on their respective folders. But when I try access these shares from the client PCs I get "Unable to access..." errors. Is there something special I need to do or make sure the user is logged into something in particular. I try logging to the launchpad, but that doesn't seem to do it.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:52 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I've found this issue too, and I've asked about it in another thread. In the mean time I've been doing some searching and I have tried to work out the difference between the folder structures in the two operating systems.
Code:
WHSv1                WHS2011
[hidden folder]      Client Computer Backups
Music                Music
Photos               Pictures
Public               Documents
Recorded TV          Recorded TV
Software             [no longer needed]
Videos               Videos
Users\[user]         Users\[you have to set this up yourself]

Of course I've also added a few more shares:
  • Audiobooks (managed by Zune)
  • Books (managed by Calibre)
  • Comics (managed by ComicRack)

A chap called Shidoshi over at the We Got Served forums wrote a set of instructions for setting up the "Users" share then creating subfolders and manually setting the permissions for each one. I can't link to the thread right now as I'm a newbie, but it's called "Folder Structure" started by swoop on Jun 25 2011.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:44 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Here is how I added user folders to my WHS2011 installation using Remote Desktop:

1. Create Share
Using the Dashboard, I created a "Users" folder and gave everyone full access to the folder.

2. Create Sub-Folders
I right clicked on the Users folder and selected "Open the Folder", then created the sub-folders that matched the names of the users known to the server. I then right clicked on each folder and selected Properties then chose the Sharing tab. I selected "Share", made sure the Administrator had Owner access, then gave the user that matched the folder "Read/Write" access. I removed all other users and did the same process for each sub-folder.

3. Enable Access Management
Access the Server Manager Console and select "Roles" then "File Services" then "Share and Storage Management". Right click the "Users" share and select Properties. Click the Advanced button and select the check box for "Enable access-based enumeration".

Thanks to Shidoshi on the WeGotServed forums for the information.

Thanks