It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:32 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

What I am seeking to do may not be possible, but I'm going to take a shot at it anyway.

I have two HP MediaSmart Servers, an EX490 and an EX487, running WHS v1 and WHS 2011, respectively. I have set up remote access on both of them, but since the EX490 was first, it seems to "win."

The EX490 box is configured in the wire, an AT&T U-verse 2-WIRE router, to have the ports 80, 443 and 4125 forwarded to it. Those are the well-known HTTP and HTTPS ports, as well as the RDP port 4125. The RDP port is what allows remote desktop connections.

The EX487 needed some tweaking to get the remote site working. I decided to use port 62082 (I prefer using very high numbered ports) -- and to do this, I had to make the configuration change in IIS by adding an HTTPS binding to the Default Web Site (I left the existing bindings alone), as well as adding port 62082 to Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. OK, so the web interface was working.

Unfortunately, RDP is not...because WHS 2011 uses port 4125 just like WHS v1, and my EX490 has already claimed that.

Is there any way to resolve this, so I can have RDP accessible to BOTH servers? I know it means I would have to change ports on one of the two, but to the best of my knowledge, Microsoft doesn't let you change the port for a "terminal server gateway." It seems that port 4125 is hard-coded deep within the bowels of the OS and not something that can be changed.

My workaround is RDPing in through a computer managed by the WHS v1 box, then "piggybacking" from that PC to one managed by the WHS 2011 box. It works, and I can live with it, I suppose. It's just so much slower to double-hop RDP when a single-hop RDP is so much more efficient!

Matt

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:47 pm 

Hey Matt,

I currently run multiple servers on in my home from one internet connection and can use Remote Access with both servers. I have had like 4 servers all accessble but its abit tricky with the MSS because of the manipulation of port 443 and it disrupts the MSS webpages if the MSS does not get 443 directly. I set external ports xxx to internal 443 to access the individual server. Each server does have its own domain or more properly I should say subdomain.

I currently only use Remote Access on two servers that I use the most. For my WHS2011 server I give it 443. I use WHS v1 to control everything outside of the router. I am using the default WHS web page not the web page HP provides like in the 3.0 version, I am not sure what the 2.5 version looks like but I use only the standard WHS Web Page for WHS v1. I then created the links for the servers using the Whiist Add-In to add the links to home page. I did this to elliminate confusion for those who do have access to my servers. While its not necessary I also own my own domain aka Custom Domain which is for simplicity for those using my servers.

The one issue I had to resolve was the LOGON Button which will send the user to the server which has 443 assigned to it. This aggrivated me so I removed the button and only use the links I provided using the assigned subdomain names for each server followed by the port number used to foward External Port xxx to Internal Port 443. So for me I let my WHS2011 Server which I named Highlander get 443 but the WHS v1 server gets 444 to 443 and all the other ports respectively.

I will have to look up what I did about the RDP connection but I know I blocked access to it but provided another means to connect to the servers desktop by changing one of files which I will have to look up for you. Basically when you logon remote access then logon to the server and get the console, I changed it so you get the actual desktop. I was having too many RPD Attempts trying to get on my WHS v1 server and it annoyed me so I provided a different way to get the job done but I can look that up for you and if you want to see how it all works send me a PM and I will be more than happy to let you look at my server links.

I have posted about this several times but I am uncertain if anyone has really gotten it to work as well as I have but since most have an MSS they may have had trouble using the HP WebPages something I never found a full solution for but then again I have no need to do that with my EX470's.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:08 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Yeah, the RDP is the piece I'd really like to get working. I've got the WHS v1 website using 80/443 and the WHS 2011 website using 62082, and can hit both without fuss or trouble. It's just that I can't RDP from the WHS 2011 site.

From the best I can tell, it would appear 4125 is a hard-coded RDP port. The website port is easy to change in IIS, but the RDP port isn't.

I have a workaround I can live with--RDP into a PC through the WHS v1 box, and then RDP from that PC to the desired destination PC. Slows things down a bit, but it works.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:34 am 

Good to see you found a solution that works. Personally I blocked outside access for RDC because I got tired of the the logon attempts by others. I opted to tweak that connection after I actually logon to the server where you get the Console by default but I changed it so I get the servers desktop instead for WHSv1. I have not mucked around to much with WHS2011 as I am still reading Paul McFedries book on WHS2011 but to be honest I have not had the motivation to dedicate the time in it as I did with WHSv1. I think my motivation will change when Stablebit Drive Pool comes out of beta. Currently I use WHS2011 as a media server and its doing better than I hoped for thanks to Remote Potato.

The hard part with WHSv1 on a mediasmart server is that 443 is hardcoded in there for the HP Websites something I could never work around when I was trying to figure out how to get fully access to my EX470 running 3.0. I did find I could access multiple servers using port manipulation of 443 using the default WHS v1 landing page on my HP ProLiant DL145. In the end I decided to just concentrate on access to my ProLiant running WHSv1 and Highlander running WHS2011 and have been quite happy with the results but Highlander gets 443 and the ProLiant gets 444 to 443 but I had to get rid of that LOGON Button and use a link to redirect the HTTPS connection to the ProLiant so that it would work correctly for remote access to the ProLiant.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks