It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:22 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi All,

I', busy trying to set up my new Hp Microserver with WHS 2011. All seems to be going quite well, except I'm having trouble sharing my Canon IP4300 printer with my Vista 32 bit laptop. Its plugged into the server via USB and the share works with my Windows 7 64bit desktop.

However, when I try to search for it from my laptop (running vista 32 bit), it doesn't find it initially. I can find it if I search manually on the server, but when i try to install it, it comes up with the message "The server for the 'canon ip4300' printer does not have the correct printer driver installed..." and about searching. When i do search for the correct drivers, if i point it to the inf for the x86 drivers or the x64 drivers it just says 'incorrect driver' or something.

I presume its not working because of something to do with 64 bit WHS 2011 and 32 bit Vista. If i go to the printer properties on the server, I can get to the sharing tab and the additional drivers. If i select the x84 box and click OK, it asks for the printer drivers, but no matter which set of drivers (64 or 32 bit) I point it at, it always says its the wrong drivers for the requested processor architecture.

I have tried plugging the printer into the laptop directly and installing the drivers directly - the printer works from the laptop just fine, but when I plug it back into the server and try to access it over the network, it still says the server does not have the right drivers. I really dont want to upgrade the OS on my laptop if i can help it, as its not very cheap and I dont think i can get all the drivers for the laptop for win 7 in either 32 or 64 bit variants!!

Can anyone help me get this working??!!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:17 pm 

Just install the printer on the server. Then set it up to be shared so it can be sceen on your network. Do not worry about loading other device drivers because you can load them on each of your clients as you install the printer on each client. You could place a copy of all the printers drivers in a shared directory and point to that area when ask for the drivers or load them onto a USB Drive or just use the CD that came with the printer. Its pretty straight forward.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:00 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Just install the printer on the server. Then set it up to be shared so it can be sceen on your network. Do not worry about loading other device drivers because you can load them on each of your clients as you install the printer on each client. You could place a copy of all the printers drivers in a shared directory and point to that area when ask for the drivers or load them onto a USB Drive or just use the CD that came with the printer. Its pretty straight forward.

Hi Comp1962, i think you've misread my post! The printer is installed on the server and it is shared over the network; my desktop running win 7 64 bit saw it, installed the drivers, and can use it just fine!!!

The problem is that i cannot get my 32 bit vista laptop to connect to the shared printer - when i try to install the remote shared printer from within vista it says the correct drivers are not present; no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to install the remotely shared printer. I've tried:

• Installing the 64 bit drivers on the server - works fine and allows me to share the printer and install it on my 64 bit win 7 desktop.
  • Installing the 32 bit drivers locally on the laptop; they installed OK, but it still wont connect to the shared printer.
  • Installing the 32 bit drivers on the server; this obviously didn't work as its 64 bit.
  • Adding the 32 bit drivers to the "share printer" tab "additional drivers" section on the server, but it wouldn't let me.

I'm pretty much out of ideas to be honest!!

EDIT:
I've just borrowed a netbook running windows 7 32 bit starter edition, and this managed to install the printer no problems. So maybe its nothing to do with 32 / 64 bit?!! Any ideas?!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:53 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Are you sure you are using the correct driver? There are separate downloads for the 32 and 64-bit drivers.
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consu ... ndSoftware

I don't usually go through the sharing tab to install printer drivers on the server. Right click in an open space in the Printers window and pull up the Server properties. In the Drivers tab, click "Add..." and run through the wizard to install which ever drivers are missing from when you installed the printer on the server the first time around.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:46 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

DustoMan wrote:
Are you sure you are using the correct driver? There are separate downloads for the 32 and 64-bit drivers.
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consu ... ndSoftware

I don't usually go through the sharing tab to install printer drivers on the server. Right click in an open space in the Printers window and pull up the Server properties. In the Drivers tab, click "Add..." and run through the wizard to install which ever drivers are missing from when you installed the printer on the server the first time around.

I've got both the 64 bit and the 32 bit drivers - the 64 bit drivers installed just fine on the server, and the 32 bit drivers installed fine on the laptop when the printer was plugged into the laptop directly into USB.

I tried to add the drivers using the control panel on the server, but I couldn't quite follow your instructions; in the devices and printers part of the control panel, if i right click in space I can bring up the device manager which doesn't list the printer so I can't add the drivers. If I right click on the server, I can get its properties, but again the printer sin't listed in the hardware tab. If I right click on the printer, and select "printer properties", then the sharing tab, there is a section for additional drivers, but when i try to add x86 drivers for the client laptop, I select the extracted x86 inf file, but it comes up with an error saying: "The specified location does not contain the driver canon inkjet IP4300 for the requested processor architecture", which i took to meaning it wont let me install the 32 bit driver.

Any ideas?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:14 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Well. . .I don't know if this will help, but I have a similar problem with my HP Laserjet 2600n. You would think that a NETWORKED printer would be easily recognizable, but the only way I could get drivers to install correctly on one of my pc's was to connect it directly via USB, then after the fact go into the printer properties and change it to a network port (and that was HP's advice). Since you had no problem installing the driver on the laptop when it was plugged directly into the printer, is it possible for you to connect the other pc to the printer via USB as well to try to install the drivers? Then you could go in after the fact and add the network port for the printer.

Norco 4220, Supermicro board/SAS cards, 4GB ram, WHS 2011, Stablebit DrivePool, 64tb storage (production)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:15 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

mike1812 wrote:
Well. . .I don't know if this will help, but I have a similar problem with my HP Laserjet 2600n. You would think that a NETWORKED printer would be easily recognizable, but the only way I could get drivers to install correctly on one of my pc's was to connect it directly via USB, then after the fact go into the printer properties and change it to a network port (and that was HP's advice). Since you had no problem installing the driver on the laptop when it was plugged directly into the printer, is it possible for you to connect the other pc to the printer via USB as well to try to install the drivers? Then you could go in after the fact and add the network port for the printer.

will give this a go. Please can you tell me how you changed the printer from USB to Networked in the properties? Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:44 pm 

Just select ports and you can change the port from USB to another.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:47 pm 

After you connect the printer to the USB Port and get it two work then you will want to move the printer back to I believe it was your server and reconnect it there before you attempt to change the port because Windows will go off looking for the printer so it will have to find it.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:38 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

^^ Yes that is correct. Return it to your original networked location, then go into your pc, edit the printer properties and under "ports", add a new TCP/IP port (you will need to know the IP address of the printer), and then select it as your port for the printer.

Sorry, forgot to subscribe and didn't see the replies until now.

Norco 4220, Supermicro board/SAS cards, 4GB ram, WHS 2011, Stablebit DrivePool, 64tb storage (production)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:08 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Managed to get it all going after re-installing the O/S. thanks for your help!

Thanks