It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:24 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

The installation of WHS2011 on my HP MSS EX 495 worked OK and I have full access and can configure the Server just as I like thru RDC. I see the server on my desktop that I used for the initial steps of the installation with the "surrogate method" but I can not access anything without going thru the RDC. When I run the SERVER/Connect wizard everything goes well all the way up till I have some few % left on the green bar to go 100% then it starts to go back and finally I get the message the "an unexpected error has occured". The built in help talking about the desktop name does not help, I have only ASCII code. I have set the IP of the Server to 192.168.0.200 and the other computers in the net are getting lower IPs like ...195 for my main Desktop (that will not connect). My router that is acting DHCP server is at 192.168.0.1. I can see the desktop from the Server but is is marked as offline. My HTPC went right thru the Connect wizard without any hickups when I did the connnection of that. When I retry to runn the Connect wizard I get the warning that there is already a computer connected with the same name so it is "half way" connected.
Where can I find all parts of the Connect activity on my Desktop so I can remove it all and do a fresh Connection? I guess that some remainings are still somewhere and that stops the installation. Is there a register (it most be) in the server of connected computers? Where to find and how to delete.?
Most grateful for all help.

PS I got the LED lights back in full function using this link http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/ ... -whs-2011/

- Clients running Win7 64 bit

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:20 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Additional input, I removed the Desktop on the server using the Computer/Backup page and I deleted all folders on my Win 7 64 bit Desktop including the logs from the old installation trials and I tried to reinstall. This time I had the RDC window open with the view of the connected computers. During installtion maybe some 50% up the green bar my desktop showed up on the Server and it actually went Online but when it was just before finishing at went offline and the installtion went backwards again with the same error mesage. It stays on the list of computers on the Server. I connected a Laptop with no problem what so ever. So now I have two coneected but my main desktop Offline.
Is it time for searching/cleaning the Registry?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:19 am 

Obviously something is preventing the server software from being installed on the client in question. Try disabling the firewall and antivirus software to see if thats whats causing the installation issue.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:05 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Tried both but exactly the same result and behavior. Erased all folders in the registry with Home server but still the same result.
Ran one of all built-in tests and got the replay back that "More than one device is performing Network Adress Translation". Is it not only the router that shall do this? Could my Desktop perform this as well? What is in that case the name of the service?

Grateful for all help posible.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:58 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

The problem is still there but I found a workaround. It seems to be a name resolve problem plus something else. In the Windows Explorer search line I entered \\192.168.0.200 that is the fixed IP for my server and there they were, my shared folders on the server. The IP shows up under the network in the left pan instead of SERVER.
Now I can work with the shared folders on the server from my desktop but since the server still think the desktop is offline I can not run any backup.
The search for "the" solution continues....
Someone, any advice????

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:44 pm 
Founder
Founder

You can try a hosts file entry.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:28 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks yakuza, that solved the name issue as did the workaround but I can not get the desktop to get online for the Server. Exactly the same behavior when running the connect wizard

Thanks