It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:46 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi all - hoping someone can help here.

I have an HP Mediasmart Server (EX490) and I installed WHS2011 a few weeks back. I decided to re-install it because I downloaded a few add-ins which I wasn't happy with, and decided to refresh everything.

So the install process seems to have worked again, to a point. When I 'see' my Home Server on my network (which I have named WHS2011) I am then trying to use the connector software to complete the setup.

When I use that, or try and connect via a Remote Desktop Connection, the setup process is asking me for my password. I cannot get past this stage.

I am continually told I have entered the incorrect password.

I've re-installed 2 or 3 times. I've formatted the primary HDD on another PC to ensure it was 'clean' before re-installing, I've even typed my password into Notepad and copy & pasted it into the section where it is required during the install process to avoid any potential keyboard 'county' issues.

Still no joy.

Just to add: One of the issues with the HP MSS is that it's a total pain to install this software on it. So to be able to do that I am taking the primary HDD out of the server and connecting it to my PC (by removing the PCs HDD) - I then perform the install up to just before the final stage where it is restarting. Power down the PC, remove the drive, put the drive back into the server and the restart process resumes and is finished in the server.

This worked before and seems to be a process used be a lot of folk if the web is anything to go by.

Can anyone help? Not really sure how to get past this password issue at all.

Many thanks.

M

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:51 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Just a basic suggestion... Maybe you typed the password incorrectly initially (caps lock key on or something)... Now when you are trying to connect with what you think is the right password, it isn't the same password you used during setup.

You might have to redo the install...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:51 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

RehabMan wrote:
Just a basic suggestion... Maybe you typed the password incorrectly initially (caps lock key on or something)... Now when you are trying to connect with what you think is the right password, it isn't the same password you used during setup.

You might have to redo the install...

Hello there - I am as certain as I can be that this isn’t the issue. I've now tried to re-install on a handful of occasions with no success.

I've even typed the password into Notepad and then copy / pasted it over into the password field to ensure there wasn't a typo or a keyboard country layout issue.

:cry:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:31 pm 

You're not going crazy, I've just had the same problem... twice.

Fresh install for WHS2011.
Set admin password during setup
After installation and all subsequent setup reboots, I rebooted to add a new HDD.
Tried to log in and it said my password was incorrect.

So... I did a fresh install
Set the admin password during setup (being VERY careful to make sure caps lock was off, etc, etc)
Finished the install and all subsequent reboots, then rebooted
Tried to log in and it said my password was incorrect!

Not entirely sure where I go from here, but I'm trying the install for a third time. Might use a really simple password this time...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:52 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

You know what. I managed to get it to work over the past day or 2.

I was taking my main HDD out of the server / hooking it up to my PC / installing the OS / then doing the 'turn off the PC at the final stage of the install when the PC is restarting'

What I was doing in the past was doing a shutdown by pressing the power button down for several seconds. I did that whilst the install process was telling me the shutdown was about to take place.

I can only assume I was doing this a fraction early - this time I allowed the PC to actually shut down and did the shutdown at that point.

One thing you might notice - and this might direct you - is this: when I was doing that shutdown slightly too early the server name was strange. Coming out with a long string of letters and numbers.

When I did the shutdown 'correctly' the server was called SERVER.

This time the password process worked. I can only assume the software wasn't installed correctly when the password wasn't working previously.

Good luck.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank mickyd67 for this post
richlars
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:29 am 

I have the same problem. During connector software install, after it asks for password, it hangs, then couple minutes later is says password incorrect. I know password is correct because same password works on another computer. Every HP tech I speak to, gives me the run around and have not experienced this. Only one HP tech support guy knew the problem. Need to change network security level.
In command prompt, type run, then secpol.msc
Local Policies, Security Options, Network scurity: LAN Manager authentication
on the Not Defined, right click and drop down menu to Send NTLM response only.
This will fix it.
Note, this only works in Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate.
If you have Standard, then you need to change it in the registry, which I do not know how to do.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:37 am 

I have had this problem which baffled me for a long time. However after some trial and error I discovered my problem.

I am in UK and set all installation parameters accordingly. It seems that the UK keyboard layout wasn't recognised and as I was using the "@" symbol in my password, the was recorded incorrectly because it assumed a US keyboard layout. Fortunately I remembered that the double quote key (") produced a @ symbol. Sure enough, I was able to log in. I then ensured that UK keyboard was the default, then changed my password.

If you have a non-USA keyboard then you may be having a similar problem.

Longer to write that do!.

Regards

Simon Morgan

mickyd67 wrote:
Hi all - hoping someone can help here.

I have an HP Mediasmart Server (EX490) and I installed WHS2011 a few weeks back. I decided to re-install it because I downloaded a few add-ins which I wasn't happy with, and decided to refresh everything.

So the install process seems to have worked again, to a point. When I 'see' my Home Server on my network (which I have named WHS2011) I am then trying to use the connector software to complete the setup.

When I use that, or try and connect via a Remote Desktop Connection, the setup process is asking me for my password. I cannot get past this stage.

I am continually told I have entered the incorrect password.

I've re-installed 2 or 3 times. I've formatted the primary HDD on another PC to ensure it was 'clean' before re-installing, I've even typed my password into Notepad and copy & pasted it into the section where it is required during the install process to avoid any potential keyboard 'county' issues.

Still no joy.

Just to add: One of the issues with the HP MSS is that it's a total pain to install this software on it. So to be able to do that I am taking the primary HDD out of the server and connecting it to my PC (by removing the PCs HDD) - I then perform the install up to just before the final stage where it is restarting. Power down the PC, remove the drive, put the drive back into the server and the restart process resumes and is finished in the server.

This worked before and seems to be a process used be a lot of folk if the web is anything to go by.

Can anyone help? Not really sure how to get past this password issue at all.

Many thanks.

M

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:00 am 

mickyd67 wrote:
You know what. I managed to get it to work over the past day or 2.

I was taking my main HDD out of the server / hooking it up to my PC / installing the OS / then doing the 'turn off the PC at the final stage of the install when the PC is restarting'

What I was doing in the past was doing a shutdown by pressing the power button down for several seconds. I did that whilst the install process was telling me the shutdown was about to take place.

I can only assume I was doing this a fraction early - this time I allowed the PC to actually shut down and did the shutdown at that point.

One thing you might notice - and this might direct you - is this: when I was doing that shutdown slightly too early the server name was strange. Coming out with a long string of letters and numbers.

When I did the shutdown 'correctly' the server was called SERVER.

This time the password process worked. I can only assume the software wasn't installed correctly when the password wasn't working previously.

Good luck.

It took me a lot of searching, but this is the post that saved me when I was about ready to give up. I thought I was going to use up all of my write cycles on my SSD, but then found that it was simply me shutting down the power too soon.

Thanks so much!!!!

Thanks