It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:44 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi all,

I re-installed WHS2011 onto my MSS (EX490) over the past few days. The method used was the: put the primary HDD into my PC, run OS software, power off the PC as the restart takes place before the final step of the install process, and then put the HDD into the MSS to complete the install.

That appears to work. It did the last time I installed, and the MSS appears on my network (well, I'm hard wired to it from my laptop the now).

However when I run the connector software to complete the install I get the following issue: "The password you have entered is incorrect..."

I've tried to re-install 3 times. I've even typed the password into notepad and copied it over when creating a password and then when I am entering the password to ensure I am not mis-typing (which I wasn't doing anyway, but it was just to make sure)

So... any suggestions? How do I get past this one?

Any help would be :)

Thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:29 pm 

Have you tried a RDP connection to the server from your network to see if you can get on that way?

Also I am beginning to sound like a broken record recommending to others why not consider installing a DEBUG connector to their HP MSS and add a Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor and USB DVD Drive to their server and just elliminate the blind installs or having to use another computer as you did to install WHS2011. To save aditional funds you could use a KVM Switch and share the Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor with another computer next to the server or you could simply work on the server and then relocate it back to the location of choice.

Just adding a Debug Cable to any HP MSS makes working with and troubleshooting server issues a very simple process and elliminates all the blind installation stuff. Food for thought.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:55 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Or... just build your own server instead of the MSS... For just a tiny bit more than I sold my used MSS for, I built a Core i3-2100T/4GB/Intel MB/Intel NIC (bye bye RealTek) based system that can handle at least 7 hard drives. Yes, in a larger form factor. And yes, you need some skills to build your own computer, but I'll never go back to a headless system. Although I run my new server headless most of the time... if I need to do some real work (installs), or something goes horribly wrong (on board NIC dies), I at least have a way to look at the thing.

I think it was a big mistake on HP's part not to expose the VGA/keyboard/mouse interfaces on the back of the device. It is fine to run headless for most of the time, but there is the emergency situation where having a keyboard and mouse and real display connected is just priceless. And how much did HP really save per-unit not including those connectors given that the hardware is already there on the motherboard?

And you don't really need a DVD drive. Installs work fine from a USB stick. My new server has no DVD drive and I have a couple of new HTPCs that have no DVD drive. I don't miss that component at all.

Thanks