It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:17 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hey,
I read about the trick of taking a new HD and use a desktop for the installation of WHS on my EX495. So I took a new 2TB disc and plugged in to a desktop with all other discs disconnected. It worked fine and I came to the first reboot, plugged the new disc in to my now complete empty EX495. The Server showed up on my desktop and I opened the server webpage and continued the installation. I got thru the steps with time setting, country codes, password and product key. Everything was ok. It went on all the way to start the installation of the new connection SW for my desktop. This did not work (of course) since the server is blinking with the blue healty LED and the LED for the system disc is not on. I guess the installation is still lacking something. The problem is now that I can not reach the server again.

Anyone tried this and had the same experience?

- Clients running Win7 64 bit

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:13 am 

When installing WHS2011 onto an HP MSS the LED's will not function normally because WHS2011 has no drivers or services to support the LED's to cause them to operate normally. So with this in mind the LED's and what they are doing or not doing is not important.

Its clear that since your server did at one point show up on your desktop that its somewhat working. Whats not clear is why the clien software did not load or what the server is doing. Can you access the server using an Remote Desktop Connection or can you see the server in your Network? I would be more interested in this right now then getting the Launchpad or Dashboard software loaded onto the client. If you can make and RDP connection to the server then you can access the Dashboard from there to see whats going on with the server and you can also read the actual server logs and check the device manager to determine what WHS2011 is missing or what needs to be attended to. There you can also setup user accounts, remote access and other things.

Someone is working on getting the LED's function in WHS2011 on the HP MSS and for more information on how this works and if you can use it or not please check out the link below:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/06 ... rver-2011/

If for some reason your not able to get WHS2011 fully functional with your server and you begin to contemplate another installation attempt using the technique you described which is very interesting or using the blind install, would you consider a 3rd alternative which I will call a normal install? If so continue reading.

WHS2011 NORMAL INSTALLATION FOR AN HP MSS SERVER:

Many people are performing successfully the blind installation of WHS2011 on their HP MSS. If I were to attempt this myself I would opt to purchase or make a DEBUG cable which you an purchase from VOV Technologies at the link below.

viewtopic.php?t=8066

With a debug cable attatched to the HP MSS you will then be able to attatch a monito, keyboard and mouse to your server and no longer suffer with a headless server and have to deal with all the difficulties in performing blind installs or maintenance. Now all you need to do is attach a USB-DVD Drive to the bottom rear USB Port and simply boot the WHS2011 Server Installation Disk and perform the installation normally.

Doing this will enhanse your server experience and will pay for itself over and over as it will make server maintenance much easier. If you do not want to dedicate a monitor, mouse and keyboard to your server you do not have to you could remove them and still operate the server headless or you could also install a KVM Switch and share a Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor with another computer. I use a KVM Switch to share these devices with 4 servers which helps save space on the desk and money with the ellimination of additional equipement.

The one additional bennifit to having a DEBUG Cable is that if your NIC Fails so to does your server and having a DEBUG cable will all you to install a USB-LAN Adapter which will get your sever running again quickly. Blind installs do work but can fail when the server decides to prompt you for something else which throws the blind install off. So a DEBUG Cable has it bennifits and when you factor in the bennifits vs the cost its actually a very affordable solution.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:10 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Perfect, what you are stating makes perfectly sense. I re-installed the HD with the desktop method ones again and followed the process carefully. The Installation ends with 100% completed installation so then I guess it most be OK and then my problem is to get the connection with my Desktop working. I can see the Server as a Computer in the Windows Explorer but I can not connect to it via the RDC. I can also see the Server under Other Devices in Windows Explorer. Here I can right click and go to the website. I can start the installation of the connection software. I have removed all my old connect software what I can see. I pass the enter of the password and I see that my password hint is the correct one but at the very end of the wizard I get Cannot connect this computer to the network, unexpected error. I have checked the hints following Windows troubleshooting but none of those issue applies. Can it be a firewall/antvirus issue? I am using Panda 2011 on my desktop for both firewall and antivirus. I will turn them off and try again.
Thanks for a very good response. I will try to get hold of the debug cable you mention even if I get it working now...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:35 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I am in! I made it thru the RDC using the IP adress on the Server.

Thanks for your suppor, it saved my day.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:31 pm 

Good to hear you got it and hope you can get the Client Software insatlled and running and begin to use the server as it was intended to be used. You may want to make some installation notes about what you had to do to get the installation going should you find the need in future to repeat the process.

Hope your experience with WHS2011 is positive and that you come back and share your experiences with it so others can learn from them.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
akWolf