It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:19 am 

I ordered a cable and had upgraded the memory to 2GB prior.
It took the server apart and tried to do install.
Everything seems to function, I can get into BIOS, etc.
I copied the install DVD to a 400GB external USB drive and applied the bootsec.exe file.
I select the drive under (F12) USB boot and the drive does boot and starts the install.
I get past the screen where you need to accept the notice and it goes to coping files.
The install fails at running the win7 setup as this is the last line in the log file with error 31.

I did the same this all over again by coping everything to a slide in drive and it booted but went to a restore, listening screen.

I used the USB drive because I didn't have a USB thumb drive large enough. Do I need to buy one? I figured a bootable USB HD would be the same.

Can anyone give me some advice on this?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:06 am 

Hey Jim welcome to the forums :mss:

To make the process even more simple why not just connect an external USB DVD Drive to your EX470 and just install WHS2011 like you would on any other system. This should make the process much simpler for you. Thing you may need to prepair for is getting the drivers for the hardware most notably the NIC Drivers but I have not personally made any attempt to install WHS2011 on an EX470.

The listening screen is your server not seeing any boot device so it then boots off its built in SMI Area which places your server into its recovery mode. This is evident by your comment that the server was in a listening mode which is the server waiting for a client to run the HP Server Recovery Software. Again if I were you I would opt for the external DVD Drive as its an easier way to install WHS2011 but you will have to press F12 to get the boot process going off the external drive or adjust the BIOS to change the boot priority but doing so will effect the boot process should you want to ever install the original software which came with your EX470. So you will want to keep things as close to as possible they way the EX470 BIOS is setup but since you have a DEBUG Cable you can change things around but down the road you will want to put things back the way they were. The F12 is a simpler process.

While I do have your attention here I want to mention that there is a very special area on your servers motherboard called the SMI which will show up on your listing of available drives as the USB SMI or something like that. When you see this please make a copy of everything. As I recall there are some hidden files so make certain you can see hidden files and folders then copy everything and make multiple copies of the files.

The reason why I mention this is because if something were to corrupt that area on the motherboard where it were no longer functional then should you ever want to reinstall WHS v1 using the HP Recovery Disks you would be dead in the water. So as a precaution please do yourself a favor and copy the files from that area and do not modify it in anyway.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
Jim.Woods
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:34 pm 

Thank you very much for your reply and the info on the SMI area.
I will go any purchase an external DVD to do the install.

Thanks again,
Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:52 pm 

Jim,

I look foward to hearing how you make out with getting WHS2011 on your EX470 and how it all works out for you.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:01 pm 

Try using the USB-CDROM as the boot source, even if you are using a USB flash / USB hard drive. I was picking the option for USB stick instead, and though it booted correctly and started the install, I would get the setup error 31. Once I booted using USB-CDROM as the boot option, it booted from the USB stick, and no setup 31 error. Just follow these instructions exactly -

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/04 ... rt-server/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:30 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I know this thread is a little old, but I was able to install WHS 2011 on my EX470 using a USB drive very easily. I followed the instructions here: http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2011/04/how-to-install-windows-home-server-2011.html. Runs very well I might add.

Thanks