It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Is it AT&T or Me?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:45 pm 

So, some of you may have noticed a previous post of mine regarding my 470. I just got hooked up with UVERSE about a month or so ago, and I finally got my thumb outta my rear and decided to tinker with the servers.

I installed 2011 today on a gaming rig i had laying around... Oh the joys of being a LAN partyer.. Multiple kickass systems.

I cant for the life of me get the remote access to work with either of my servers... the 2011 box or my MSS 470...

Both have static IP's, but i have also tried it with out static. I finally took my MSS 470 off due to the fact that it doesnt need to be on the interwebs anyway since it is primarily a photo backup and tax doc backup. And the 2011 box will take over being everything else plus being remote accessible.

I have opened 80 and 443 inside of my 2wire 3801 HGV (it has a new name as of today! BIG OLE POS!!!!!), and pointed those openings to my server.

Now! When I ping server A which is the MSS 470, it comes back with the assigned static IP. 192.168.0.200

When I ping server B, it comes back with 192.168.0.1, when the assigned static is 192.168.0.8, and I cant get it to go through the setup process for remote access....

Tips, tricks, solutions, lending of a big sledgehammer. All will be appreciated....

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Is it AT&T or Me?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:31 pm 

Hi wstmann Welcome to the forums \:D/

The issue you mention has something to do with the actual 2wire which would be better discribed as the POS and not your server. Now I am not an expert in configuring the 2wire devices but I do know from reading through the forums that they can be difficult to configure which really makes them a PITA not really a POS. Sorry for the reuse of the terms you have already used.

Here are a couple of links to help you get started. The 2nd link is actually mentioned by Yakuza in the first link:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2449&hilit=att
http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=21

If you use the Site Search and just enter 2wire for the search you will find several forum posts about 2wire devices that may also shed some light on the difficulty others had with them and what if anything they did to correct the problem at hand.

Also you can run multiple servers from 1 internet connection but you will have to do some manipulation with port forwarding to get them to work. The primary port to play with is 443 and if you can forward external ports to internal then you can leave one server using 443 exclusively and set the other to use say 444 to 443. If your familar with iis you can change the default ports in there but its much simpler to use the router if at all possible.

One thing you will need to know about running multiple servers on your network for remote access is that depending on how you manipulate the ports it will have some effect on the HP Softwares Websites if your running v3.x. If you like those websites you may want to leave your EX470 running the default websites. Editing iis settings helps abit but does not correct fully how they function which is something I could never figure out. Anyway I am running WHS v1 OEM on a HP ProLiant and WHS2011 on a test server. My WHS v1 server is my primary server and I use it as the front door to everything to make connections to my WHS2011 server easier to get to for those who I share my servers with. This is done with whiist an old Add-In to help me create the links on WHS v1.

Hope you get your 2wire functional and hope the added info I posted will help guide you to setting up and working with 2 Servers and remote access from a single internet connection.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks