It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:58 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Looks like my Sans Digital 4 bay TowerRAID enclosure has given up the ghost. I knew that these units had dodgy PSUs, so I was pleasantly surprised to get a few years service out of it before the inevitable happened. It still boots, so I'm not convinced it is the PSU, but it will not ID any HDDs that I have in it, including 3 that test just fine in my other enclosures. What I've done so far:

Tried another eSATA cable (obvious easy fix - no go)
Tested 3 drives in another enclosure - all test good
Made sure eSATA driver was functional (my original WHS2011 install from 2 years back taught me this lesson).

This is also on a fresh install of WHS2011. I had retired the poor thing after having daily lockups, and moved the entire WHS to a DIY tower server that had more cores and RAM. Now that started locking up in the past 3 months, so I went back to either fix or toss the MSS, and wouldn't you know it - it's running fine ! Turns out one of the 3TB HDDs I had in it was my issue all along.

But back to the Sans Digital - it must have quit working in the past 3 months when I was having the daily lockups. The unit powers on but does not ID any of the HDDs with a green light indicating its position in the enclosure. I am going to try another PSU, even if it is a larger one, that I can see if it has any affect on the drives showing up. I may have to resort to Ebay, but I was hoping for another enclosure without the PSU issues that seem to plague the Sans units.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:50 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hello, sorry to hear you are having problems.
I couldn't help but notice you mentioned 3 tb drive, but since you have whs 2011 a 3tb drive would be ok.
As far as what might be a good replacement for external enclosures.
Some have used these with good success, they offer esata, usb and the price is good for what you get. Might be worth trying.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817576009&cm_re=medisonic-_-17-576-009-_-Product

I do know these can be setup to sleep if you turn the server off and when the server is turned back on they will wake back up or they can be set to just turn off when the server turns off, but then you would need to manually turn it back on when the server was fired back up.

Any way, let us know how you solve your external storage as many will be their sooner or later. May help them :-)
Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:06 am 

Sans Digital still sells parts although it looks like the board is out of stock but the cost being $54 and you could probably find the entire unit for around $75 but your right about the PSU being wonky. I have used their boards in the past to mount them inside an MSS Enclosure which I still use today more like an over size docking station. I have a bunch of them in the closet and they ended up there because the drives would drop out of the pool which was so damn annoying I decided to just build another server and be done with them.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks