It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Moving On
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:52 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

What software have people been going to when they leave WHS 2011? I am looking for something that I can put on a home built server. Any pros and cons on replacing the server software would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Moving On
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:41 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I put win 2012E on a x-510 (same hardware as ex-490) with the upgraded ram and cpu it ran pretty good. Then I built a DIY, It is in the DIY thread x-710 amd moved my win2012E to it.
With the I5 and 8 gigs memory it runs very well, I even have a vm win7 running on it for fun. I am still using my WHS V1 for my main server, but sometime down the road I will fire up 2012E. "Maybe"

Not real happy with Microsoft right now. May end up going NAS.

But to answer your question, the price on win2012E has come down, I paid $358 I think, I have seen it for less if you get the Non R2 version. I tried it and didn't like it at all.
Some are going with open source, booting off of a thunmbdrive, there are many options when you go down the open source road.

If you have the VGA/mouse board then you can run anything that you can find drivers for. I have heard some running win8 and win7 The hardware is 64 bit able, so larger drives are not a problem for the hardware, if you can find drivers.
Good Luck Let us know where you land, it could be helpful to others, many are looking at what to do since Microsoft has turned it's back on us. :crazy:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks