It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:05 pm 

Hi All:

This is my first post.

I own and have been using an HP MSServer EX-490 for 4 or 5 years now. It has been working well. However, I decided I needed more and better backup so I purchased Microsoft's Windows Home Server 2011 and have installed the connector software for it on several Windows 7 based client computers, and have built a new computer with two 500 GB drives configured for Raid 0 or 1 for the WHS 2011 OS, and four 4 TB drives for data, the last 4 drives being set up as Raid 5. My comment about Raid 0 OR 1 reveals that I must have had help from knowledgeable sources, since I do not really grasp the true differences. Nevertheless, if one of my OS drives fails, the other will continue operating and I can replace the failed drive and continue merrily on. The other 4 drives are configured so that any single drive failure will not jeopardize my data and the failed drive can be swapped out and a replacement swapped in, the data that was on the failed drive will be placed on the new drive and my system should continue on as before.

That is not what would happen had I stuck with my HP MSS EX-490, as I understand it.

All the above being said, I am guessing that my old HP MSS EX-490 is really now of no use to me, nor would Drive Bender software be of any value to me. I am seriously considering giving it to a friend who can use it and has the skills and smarts to do that.

I would appreciate any comments from anyone in these forums indicating whether or not my guess is correct and whether or not I would be wise to retain my old HP MSS EX-490 for any really valid purpose.

thesquire

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:52 pm 

This will explain what your looking for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

WHS2011 does have a cool backup solution which I only use for the System Drive which I happen to have setup using RAID 1 Mirror. What I really like about this OS Backup Solution is I can recover the server in under 1 hour regardless of the RAID 1 configuration which I have to honestly say was just an experiment on my part using an ICY DOCK. I will also tell you that I do not run any other RAID Configurations on my WHS2011 or WS2012E Servers as I prefer to use JBOD and let Stablebit Drive Pool handle things which its been doing quite well.

The primary reason why I chose not to go with a true RAID Solution is the cost of doing it properly with Hardware RAID vs Software RAID. For what I am doing the speed of my servers is more than adequate and should I find my need for speed to change in the future I would then move to a Hardware Raid Solution which is faster but again I am not there yet so while I have a large server solution I am using the poor mans means of managing my data..

Good Luck with your new build.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
thesquire