It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:25 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Have finally backed all eight clients up over the last week on HP Micro n54l and had intermittent Drivebender cannot connect to port 9885 popups during this process. It improved with the latest version install and at least first manual backups completed successfully. Only one automatic backup on one client since. Only have this and Mezzmo and advanced admin console installed as well as usb soundcard.
Now from this morning get hourly whs 2011 server restarted alerts when it has not.

Have Broadcom Netxtreme gigabit Ethernet driver which seems correct from all on the net.

Wonder if I should delete the generic volumes from shadow copies and storage in device manager as suggested below.
Any other suggestions much appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

Read this post by LucKy Amateur this morning dated 2011:

I first saw the "unexpected restart" alert the morning after I installed SP 1. I reinstalled my WHS 2011 software on the Server and all clients, tested and retested my PSU, memory, CPU (all time-consuming), but the alert returned each morning. I opened a Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) to the Server and determined the alert seemed to show only during backup of one or another client, and that it was a false alert generated when the "Backup Status" progress bar stalled but a few minutes at a specific percentage of progress for one or another client (not an actual restart). This worked for me:

1. My network driver was outdated by a few months, so I updated it just in case it was "choking" communications between the server and clients and generating the false alert. [Note: Windows Update could not find/ update any of my drivers, so I placed them on a USB stick, opened a RDC to the Server, and pointed to the location of my driver(s)].

2. Still in a RDC, I went to The Server's Device Manager, View, Show Hidden Items, View, Show Hidden Devices, selected Storage volumes shadow copies, and deleted each of the listed, "generic volumes." The Server wanted to restart, but I chose "No." With Hidden Items still in view, I selected Storage and deleted each of the generic volumes listed, but did not allow the OS to restart until removal of the very last entry (please note that volume entries will remain in view even after you remove them, and are reinstalled during reboot).

I rebooted and have not seen the problem for 21-consecutive mornings. Ignoring the false alert is possible (and easy), but working to find a solution that worked for my "poor-man's build" (as a gentleman who "just posts a lot" calls other folks hardware), was highly educational.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:03 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I did a little googling and correct me if wrong but this error is not from drivebender working improperly.
I mean your pool of drives is pooled and everything is doing what it should be doing, the error is from the little remote client software part of driver bender that is supposed to let you check up on the pool and such. And that is what is giving you errors.

I tried that client software thing and really could not get it to work at all, so I was just happy that the pool was doing what it should be doing and gave up on the (extra thing). Now, I know this isn't a fix and I did see where others were having the same problem over at the drivebender forums and it was supposed to be fixed in the next version, but it would appear it is not.

All I could suggest is don't use it or keep reminding them it is still broken till they fix it.

I know that is not any help, but what I would do.
I really kind of quit using drivebender when I started using win2012E and storage spaces.

I am still using WHS v1 and testing win2012E for the future.

I know some people are having great success with stablebit. might be a while before this drivebender is fixed, maybe I can still get my money back. :-#
Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:46 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanks Gardian.
I am not entirely surprised.
All is well apart from that so I should be grateful.
Best wishes,
Mike.

Thanks