It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:52 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Just built a new WHS2011 machine and have it up and running. Came from an HP495 but have a question.
With the connector software on the client, you could 'wake the server'. then it would boot up and login and be
up and running for use with no manual inputs. I understand most people use a server 24/7, but I like to shut it
down when not in use and boot up when needed. I don't see these simple commands in the WHS2011 software.
So the question is, how do I get my server to wake up (cold boot) from my PC and auto login for me?
I still it have it connected to a K,M,M for now, but want to go headless soon. All help is greatly appreciated.

Scott

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:39 pm 

I personally don't allow my servers to sleep but there is an ADD-IN for WHS2011 called Lights-Out which allows you to configure sleep times for your server. You can read about it from the link below:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/06 ... rver-2011/

Here is something I found in the forum: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11651

While the last link klp992001 reports he did not have to change the BIOS for WOL to work. Two things to keep in mind is the there may be settings in the BIOS and NIC for WOL. Reviewing their initial settings may be helpful should you need to turn them on. Should you install Lights-Out I would run it with no changes to the BIOS or NIC first to see if it will work and change the settings only if you have difficulty getting it to work.

I really wish I could offer you better help in this matter but its a starting point. Please take the time to carefully read everything you can and look for issues others may have reported and see what if any corrective action was taken.

Good Luck on your quest and should you find an acceptable solution please do share it with others.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:01 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thx for the info, but that program doesn't help in starting/logging in to a server that is cold booted.
(unless I missed something). Not interested in sleep/hibernate modes, only a dead to the world cold boot.

Scott

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:13 pm 

Yes you did mention that and it still comes down to a WOL & Magic Packet Configuration. Again this is often set in the BIOS and NIC.

Review the following link for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:33 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ok, installed the LightsOut, read thru the manual..set up a calendar event to shutdown the server at a specific time today...and nothing happened.
Guessing its not as simple as that, or did I miss a step?

Scott

Edit: Disregard, it did shutdown, just took longer then the time I set. Will keep playing with it, thx.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:10 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Alright, will need some help in this area. Went to the lightsout icon and selected Wake Server...nothing happened (guessing this is for sleep mode)
The other one "Wake Server on Internet" is grayed out. The MB (ASRock H77-Pro4-M) had no settings in the BIOS for WOL, but I did set setting in the onboard adapter in the device manager for WOL to enabled and accept magic packet.
Not sure how to proceed from here to get this to work so I can wake server when needed.

Scott

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:40 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

God knows I'm new to WHS 2011 but I have used lights out for a few years, there is a small client program that you install on your pc. Have you installed that? I used it all the time, but it was with my x510 so a diy server may take more work.
I have mine setup to power down at 11pm (everybody is asleep) and fire up at 6a. It's better then running 24/7 and some times I will remote in from work if I need a file.
Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks