It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:33 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hi, has anyone connected a Drobo S to the HP ProLiant N40L Ultra Micro Tower Server with Windows 2011 via eSATA?

Any lessons learned would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Backup: HP ProLiant N40L w/ 16.25 TB
    SansDigital TR5M-B eSATA
    Offsite: HP ProLiant N40L w/ 6.25 TB
    SansDigital TR8U-B USB
    Other: HP EX495 w/ 2.5 TB

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:31 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I have a 4 bay drobo connected to one.

With the drobo S I belive you must first connect and set up with USB then reconnect with esata.

There is a drobo add in which lets you see the drobo dashboard information.
http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/11/08/whs-drobo-status/

The information which I have read, suggest connecting the drobo to your server and, syncing the shares to the drobo using Allway Sync or some other syncing software.

I prefer using the drobo as a destination for my local KeepVault backup. That way my data is still avalible by navigating through the KeepVault drive path and, not locked down as it would be through the servers backup.

Do remember, the drobo data is tied to the drobo hardware so, if your hardware fails then your data is no longer accessible unles you have another drobo unit to place the drives into.

I've read conflicting reports that, the replacement hardware must be the exact make and model as the original. I've also read that it only needs to be the same model or newer.

As always keep backups of the backups.

I use the servers backup function in addition to the KeepVault local backup on the drobo. Then, as an added saftey measure, I also keep an off site backup using the KeepVault add in.

This gives me a total of 3 different backups of my data with, one being off site. Plus, if a hard drive goes bad, the data is still on 2 other hard drives and the cloud.

Also, make sure to uncheck the drobo unit, or any drive which holds the keepvault backup from the servers backup. If you include it in the server backups they will fail.

And, if you have the Stable Bit Scanner add-in installed, you will need to block it from scanning the drobo unit or, you will recieve bad drive errors.

I'm not sure but, I would suspect that you might also have issues with warnings and errors between the drobo and the HomeServerSmart 2012 add-in.

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank CBick for this post
taccardit