It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:38 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hello old friends.....I was in the process of building myself a Media Server for my movies when some personal issues came up and got side tracked....So know since it seems the internal HD's are slowly going back to normal I'm back in the hunt...

I have about 1TB of movies that I am going to by 2 x 1TB drives to start out with and I need a OS. Was looking at prices of Windows Home Server 11 vs Windows 7 and dont know the best thing to do....I was wondering if someone could point me in a direction. I was reading the reviews of a thing called Drive Bender on here so WHS 11 can read my data better AND back it up...Is this the best I can do as far as easy to deal with...set it and forget it kinda thing....thanx for any help

Processor= AMD Phenom 2 Black Edition Multi-Core
Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:34 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I think it's a matter of personal preference. I use WHS 2011 with Stablebit Drive Pool and it has been for me a "set it and forget it". I tried Drive Bender and found it to be too complex to set up. I got involved with Drivepool earily in it's development and had the same data through all testing and release with no corruption or loss. My machines are Mediasmart servers with upgraded memory and cpu's and run very well with the software.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:43 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I find 2011's built in server backup sufficient for my needs. I have an ex487 with an intel e5200 processor, 4gb ram and 1 500gb os drive and 2 2tb drives, 1 as the data drive and the other as a backup drive. If your storage needs are 2tb or less, just use the built in server backup feature.

As far as WHS 2011 vs 7 I would go with 2011 simply because you can find it for ~ 45.00 all the time where you will spend much more for 7.

Jeff

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:02 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanx for the replies....I don't know much about "drive pools" but what I've seen in here and didn't know what OS would be best with it..So it sounds like I might just need to pick up WHS 11 for right now and maybe look into the Stablebit Drive Pool you mentioned. As of right now I only have about 1 TB worth of data but am wanting to buy 2 x 1TB to get me going..And I knew if I was wanting to buy Windows 7 I was needing to buy it at the same time as my HD's (this is what I have been told to get it cheaper)....

Processor= AMD Phenom 2 Black Edition Multi-Core
Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:52 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

DrivePool will offer an sudo-RAID solution. The duplication is extremely helpful if a HD goes bad.

Thanks