It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: 2011 WHS INSTALLATION
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:37 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I need help to install 2011 WHS on my MEDIASMART SERVER EX 495. I have upgraded it to quad processor Intel 9300 and RAM to 4 GB. If anybody done this before please help. I am afraid to delete backups. I have a lot of photos as well. So please if someone has practical knowledge of software upgrade please help.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:29 pm 
Founder
Founder

You can't upgrade, you have to perform a clean install and then copy your data to the server. Also, the backups are not compatible between WHS and WHS 2011.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:02 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

So this actually means that all my photos that i have on other HDD's will be lost? Or I will be able to see them?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:09 pm 
Founder
Founder

You will need to migrate/copy your data from the drives to your new server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:16 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Definitely not a decision to be taken likely. As Alex pointed out, you need to migrate the data you want to keep to a separate drive or server, and then rebuild the existing one. Also, the backups will be lost--I don't think these can be used with the new version of WHS. Needless to say you'll want to get the backups set up right away and running as soon as reasonably possible.

Rebuilding a server to run WHS 2011 is something that will require at least some planning. It's more of a "project" that requires you to budget some time to deal with...getting your data backed up, the server rebuilt, drivers downloaded, Windows Updates fetched, etc. If you plan to use third party drive pooling software, that's another consideration. Once you've got that all set up and you're happy with it, then you can migrate your data back, upgrade the Connector on the computers and get your backups running again.

If you were hoping this would be something that could be tucked into a couple of hours in the evening, you'll find yourself disappointed.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:45 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

If the shares are backed up to a USB drive can you use that backup of the HP490 to restore the data to the WHS2011? I am not talking about the backup of the computers. So, say you have photos, videos, home data as shares ( other than users and so on). If I back those 3 up using the WHSv1 console to a usb drive can I then get that data back onto the new WHS2011?

philip

Edit: Is Time Machine compatible with WHS2011 without any funny fix? That is the main reason for moving to WHS2011 as we are now almost a Mac home. Still have PC's though. I was under the impression that you needed AFP to use Time Machine.

Thanks