It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: WHS2011 & auto logon
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:21 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I just built a WHS 2011 box, coming from years w/v1. I had to turn OFF auto logon on my clients to set them up. Can I turn auto logon back on once setup on the client or is it time to get used to entering passwords all the time even in my own home? control userpasswords2 has been my friend!!

I tried it on one client, and it seems OK, but am I going to run into any issues later? Seems I can access shares, and launch the Dashboard from a client autologged on, so I guess, unless there's some issue, I'm good, no?

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: WHS2011 & auto logon
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:43 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have autologon setup for almost all my clients and the server itself... After six months or so, no problems...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:27 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Great, thanks.

I don't know why WHS 2011 makes you turn off auto logon to install then make it OK to turn it back on. I'll add a couple more clients tomorrow and see what it says.

Tom

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:19 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Autologon is generally considered to be "less secure" - then again unless you encrypt your hard drive and always power off your machine when not around "secure" is a relative term...

So no, it's not an issue if you want to configure your server or clients to auto login. And no, you won't run into issues if you do so. My WHS auto logons for my home automation software as well as iTunes. Yes, I could run them as services but not everything works if you do that. And since my MediaSmart doesn't have a keyboard/mouse/video autologon is less of an issue anyway 8)

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank EricE for this post
thosj
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:34 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Yup, all 6 clients of mine are set to Autologin and everything is cool, so still a mystery why 'they' make you turn it off to setup the client while it's OK to turn if off after setting up. Big brother looking out for our best interests, I guess(;-)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:34 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

thosj wrote:
Big brother looking out for our best interests, I guess(;-)

I don't know of the "big brother" connotation is a fair one - Microsoft takes lots of heat for security related issues so I have no problem with them defaulting to more secure configurations. For those who are willing to accept the "risk" and know how to revert, they can. If your not technical enough to know how to revert you probably shouldn't have it set up that way either :)

I upgraded the small business server for a non-profit I support, and the new version of Exchange enforces passwords on mobile devices. People complained and I explained they should have been using passwords on their mobile devices in the first place - now they don't have a choice.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:45 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

EricE wrote:
I don't know of the "big brother" connotation is a fair one - Microsoft takes lots of heat for security related issues so I have no problem with them defaulting to more secure configurations.

No ill will indended there, I COMPLETELY understand. I, most times, wish they'd enforce some more of this and life would be somewhat easier for those of us who support others!! :D

Thanks