It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:42 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I'm finally ready to do it. I have already moved my EX495 to WHS 2011, and now I'm ready to also bring up a dormant EX475 to WHS 2011. I figure I'll just let it hang off the switch as an additional server, almost as a NAS. I'm thinking of moving the low volume, low demand stuff off the 495 to the 475.

I know about the 2GB memory upgrade (and finally found the instructions on myhomeserver.com).

Is there anything else I need to be aware of, or anything else I should do to the 475 before putting 2011 on it?

Thanks!

The Gunny

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:14 pm 

When you install WHS2011 onto your EX475 you will lose the functions of your LEDs. Someone did correct this with the EX48x but I have not followed it very much but I would take a look at that. Before actually performing the install I would take the time to extract the SMI Files to have a back up of them. Some in the past have installed WHS2011 then attempted to reinstall WHSv1 back on their servers only to find out there was an issue with the SMI Area not working which will prevent you from performing a recovery using the disks that came with your EX475.

Since your looking at upgrading the RAM you might want to look for a 4 GB stick of RAM for use with WHS2011. Last week I picked up a couple DDR2 4GB Stick for like $51.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820220525 and the free shipping is nice too.

My WHS2011 server Highlander generally utilizes about 2GB so having 4GB would make perfect sense. To make the installation easier I would recommend you install a Debug Cable. While you can install it blind its not a very comfortable thing especially if something goes wrong you can can't see it but with a Debug Cable installed you can and with an external DVD Drive you can install WHS2011 normally.

Good Luck with your installation.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:22 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks!

A couple of other questions:

I had the *impression* (not 'knowledge', mind you, just a general impression) that anything over 2 GB memory wasn't accessed by the stock CPU in the EX47X boxes. Perhaps that was from the "old days" when there weren't any sticks bigger than 2 GB. So more than that was essentially wasted. No longer the case?

Since I will have the guts of the box open, is there anything else that would be beneficial to change at this point? Like the CPU? Any *real* benefit to looking at that?

I have a 2TB Drive I'll be using for the system drive. What is the current thinking (with WHS2011) on the sizes of the C: and D: partitions? Is the C: partition/volume still relative "capped" as the host of the OS? Therefore smaller, i.e., 500GB or so?

When I did the WHS2011 conversion of my EX495, I tried unsuccessfully to use the USB key method. NADA. Finally pulled the system drive and set it up on another PC, then reinstalled. Much simpler, and worked without a problem. I plan on doing that again this time.

Also, I had a very ugly experience trying to recover a failed system drive with V1, only to discover (when it was too late to do anything about it) that my backups were corrupted. No more. I *WILL NOT* be going back to v1 under any circumstances.... Also, I haven't needed an external DVD drive for anything else, so I can't see spending the $$ for one just for this one-time install. Thus the debug cable doesn't seem to offer much value to me......

Thanks for all your suggestions and help! I REALLY appreciate it!

The Gunny

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:07 pm 

The limitation of the RAM on WHSv1 had more to do with it being a 32bit OS but some did install a 4 GB stick and were able to access something like 3.2GB of the 4. WHS is a 64bit OS so it can access larger amounts of RAM but lets say even if you could only still use the 3.2 GB it would still be bennificial.

Since I managed to acquire quite a few BE2300 CPU's I used one of those in my test server. I also have one running in an EX470 running the 3.0 software and it helps but for me the RAM had the bigger impact on performance. The test serve is running with 4 GB or RAM and is running well but is only there to test software for installation consideration for Highlander. There are very few CPU's that are known to work well with the EX47x and all the X2 processors will require you to modify your BIOS. Running WHS2011 on the EX47x may also be somewhat of a problem in that you will also want to be able to control the rear fans because unlike your EX49x which I believe controls the fans from the BIOS the EX47x controls it with software and drivers written for WHS v1. You may want to address the fan issue so that your EX47x will not shut down when things heat up. One option would be to change the fans out and let them spin at full speed to provide the necessary air flow through the server enclosure to provide proper cooling since the CPU depends on good air flow being a passive cooling setup.

The other option you have is to simply sell the EX47x to someone who would bennifit more from WHS v1 for which is was designed to run and use the funds for a DIY Build or sell off the boards keeping the PSU as a backup for your EX49x and converting the EX47x to become a Port Multiplier to compliment your EX49x. Just some thoughts for you to consider.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:21 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

So it looks like the most practical approach is to just do the memory, with an eye on the fans, then.

Thanks for saving me some unnecessary steps!

The Gunny

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:32 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

OK, the memory upgrade is done (to 4GB) and now it's time to commit to the HD config. I'm [relatively] awash in idle drives, so I have lots of choices. Take a look at these possible configs, and let me know what you think (any new ideas are welcome also!):

What I have available -
A brand new 2TB Seagate Barracuda "Green", purchased before the floods
A fresh, refurbed (RMA replacement) OCZ Vertex 2 Pro 200 GB SSD
A WD 300GB VelociRaptor
A 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid 2.5"
A couple of Seagate Barracuda XT (1.5TB & 2TB) drives.
A regular (non-hybrid)Seagate 2.5" Momentus, 500GB
A Hitachi 320GB 2.5" 7200rpm

The question:

Which of these appeals to you the most as a system drive, and how would you partition it (Sizes)? (My own bias leans to making the new 2TB "Green" drive the second drive, and use something else for the system drive, but I could be wrong... :crazy: )

I really appreciate your thoughts!

The Gunny

Thanks