It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:26 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have a DIY WHS 2011 build. Both the hardware and WHS 2011 have been rock steady. I've posted details around the build in the DIY section of this forum if anyone is interested. Anyway, in my home network I have four Win 7 and four Mac clients. Prior to about two years ago we only had Windows-based systems but as it came time for upgrades my wife and kids wanted Mac's so now we have a mixed environment.

The one disappointment with WHS 2011 is the integration with Mac's. I suspect Microsoft wanted to be able to say that they support Macs but their WHS Mac Connector/Dashboard objectively adds no real value. Clearly it was a half-hearted effort. The best example is the backup function... hit backup on the Dashboard and it only brings up Time Machine. You need to figure out how to get Time Machine to use a WHS share! No integration utility similar to what was provided by HP in WHS v1. Doing the integration yourself is basically a hack and I am done manually building "sparsebundles" that soon get corrupted requiring a rebuild. It's never worked right and I will not rely on it. Key miss for me.

At this point I am tired of waiting for a 3rd party solution and no confidence that either Microsoft and Apple will address. So this past weekend I bought a Apple Time Capsule. I was able to set up Time Machine backups for each Mac client in 5 minutes and it just works. I only use WHS to hold boot disk images of my Mac's using SuperDuper. WHS will continue to be my file server for all my clients but not for Mac backups. Done.

John

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank John B. for this post
benogil

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!