It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Two Servers on line
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:52 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

This may not be the correct place to post this question so Mods please move if needed.

I just built a new server and installed 2011 on it. All seems well, but of course I don't have both my old EX-495 and the new 2011 able to be seen from the internet. I purchased another router just to test the new machine and after making sure it was the only router on line and setting the ports I was able to connect to the new box. So I know it will work. Now the question is can I have both on line thru a single router?

If this has been addressed else where please give the link. I tried searching the forums but I may not have used the correct keywords. I'm not the best at networking issues but have no fear of diving in if the instructions are clear. I hope someone can help, either it can be done like this or no you can't do that. TIA.

yowzer

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Two Servers on line
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:14 pm 

You can do it but the issue you will need to over come is which server will get port 443. I use my Primary WHS v1 Servers landing page to direct traffic to my other servers. Although Microsoft will only give you one domain the thing is if you have a Microsoft Domain or subdomain for WHS v1 they will also give you one for WHS 2011 for free. Both domains will still point to your network but you will need them to turn on remote access to make the server accessible on the internet.

So I use one domain to point to my Primary WHS v1 server and I have links setup to direct traffic to the other servers. This means port 80 goes to the the v1 server. Using port forwarding you can configure external ports to internal ports for example 444 to 443 to one server and 445 to 443 on another. The problem with 443 is that your EX495 will want 443 for it to function properly. Forwarding say 444 to 443 on the EX495 will break the media webpage structures. On WHS2011 it will want 443 as well for similar reasons. I do not not recall if I ever used an external to internal port for WHS2011.

Now to do this with a vanilla WHS v1 its a piece of cake but with the HP Software it gets very interesting and earlier this year I was working on it but I never could quite get to fully functional but if you work around the HP Software and simply not use it you can very easily without having to mess around with any of the internal WHS Settings that others have posted about in past.

If you get it to work as I have then your servers will complain about the router not being setup properly or give you remote access errors but just ignore them and you will be fine. If your looking to use all the features and functions on both servers then it will be somewhat of a challenge. I have 4 servers running off one internet connection here 2 are setup for remote access the other two are currently running media streaming software like Remote Potato and SubSonic which do not require Remote Access to be setup but do require certain dedicated ports to be properly accessed.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:43 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Comp1962
Thank you very much for your reply and the information. I may give it a try after rereading and trying to visualize the data paths. I have a Linksys WRVS4400N router as my main router and a TZO custum domain for my 495. Currently of course all port forwarding is to the 495. I also have set static ip's for both machines. I had tried going into IIS on 2011 and binding 444 to HTTPS and another port for 80 on the default web site then forwarded them in the router and adding them to the MS URL but no joy. Everything reset after testing. As I said before network structure is not my strong suit.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:30 am 

I took the simplest approach I could and was able to find a solution that would work for me. I also have a TZO custom domain to make it easier for friend and family to find my server(s) and then as I mention I use my Primary WHS v1 Server to direct the traffic to my other servers using their subdomains and assigned port numbers. So it works like the example below:

http://CustomDomain.com ~ Brings you to my Primary WHS v1 Server which provides the links to the other servers

Link 1 Example: https://Server1SubDomain.com:445 ~ Port Forward 445 to 443 to Reserved IP for Server 1
Link 2 Example: https://Server2SubDomain.com:446 ~ Port Forward 446 to 443 to Reserved IP for Server 2
Link 3 Example: http://CustomDomain.com:9080 ~ Port Forward to assigned server for Remote Potato
Link 4 Example: http://CustomDomain.com:8079 ~ Port Forward to assigned Server for SubSonic

All the servers on my network have Reserved IP Numbers which makes port forwarding easier. To avoid certificate issues when using HTTPS I have used the Remote Access SubDomain name followed by the external port number assigned which then forwards the port to 443. However as I mentioned this doesn't work when doing it with the HP MediaSmart webpages which seem picky about 443 and attempting to resolve it internally in WHS offered some better results but I was never able to get it fully functional in a way to allow the MSS Media Streaming Functions to work properly.

In the end I actually considered it a waste of time for me because at the time I was already using SubSonic for Music and ORB for online video streaming. Today I use Remote Potato which replaced both but family members want to play music a certain way so I will be bringing back SubSonic. I also use Remote Potato for sharing Pictures and use the Whiist Add-In for WHS v1 to create picture webpages and to create the links to direct traffic on my Primary WHS v1 Server. Also I have to note the media functions both in HP MSS and WHS 2011 are limited so the software I mentioned above is more flexible and handles a wider range of file formats plus they simply work better.

Oh one more thing and that is I do not use nor require the use of any of the HP MSS WebPages. Everything I do is using the stock WHS v1 Web Pages. In doing this I also had to remove the logon button to elliminate the certificate error because on my Primary WHS v1 Server I use an external port xxx to internal port 443. So while the custom domain gets me there the actual Logon Button was using the SubDomain name and popped up a certificate error which was annoying so I chose to eliminate it and provide a proper link as shown in the examples above to correct the issue.

At first it really sounds confusing but its really a very simple method of manipulating ports to achieve a desired result. Using the custom domain simplifies the task of getting people to my server and the links there make it simple for everyone to access the other servers without having to bookmark them or remember rather long link addresses. So for all who use it everything is still point and click which keeps my intake of Advil to a minimum.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:46 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Comp1962

Thank you for the detailed explanation of your approach to the problem. I am using version 3.0 on my EX-495 so I have a few issues making this work. I may have to create a web site to replace the HP one. I got some reading and research to do. I will start here and search for posts about replacing the HP web page. Thanks again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:07 am 

No problem and good luck with the task your about to undertake. Just make certain that any file you edit that you make a copy of the original so you have something to fall back on and record any settings you may make to IIS for the same reason as well as any other setup files you tweak.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks