It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:23 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I just bought WHS 2011 online and waiting for it to arrive, i currently have whs v1 on my ex495.

Now my question is how to install WHS 2011 to the ex495, now there are guides all around that are telling me to make a bootable USB and so far while most of them have been successful, its not without problems.

Now i'm asking if i could go back the ordinary way like the previous restore/recovery process that was part of the WHS v1.
Which is basically, connecting a laptop to my ex495 thru LAN, insterting the whs2011 CD on the laptop, resetting the ex495 and pressing that little button on my ex495.

Would that be possible? Or is my only choice thru a bootable USB ?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:24 pm 

You have only 2 options to installing WHS2011 on your EX495 and both are direct installs as listed below:

(1) Blind install using a Bootable USB Flash Drive
(2) Purchase a Debug Cable. Then connect a Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse and DVD Drive and install the traditional way.

Personally my prefrence would be to install it using the Debug Cable which will make working with your server much easier. Working with it blind is possible but in the event something goes wrong your....how should we say....left in the dark. So having video on your server does pay off in big dividends because you get to see everything thats going on.

For more information on Debug Cables check out the following link: viewtopic.php?t=8066

If your server is located next to a Client then you can also share that clients Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor using a KVM Switch keeping cludder down to a min. Oh yea VOV Technologies shows and suggests placing their Debug Cables in a Drive tray. I have mounted mine on the side of my older EX740's by routing the cable towards the front then exiting the side under the front grill. Here is the way I install my debug boards. viewtopic.php?p=70165#p70165

The other thing worth noting is that when you install WHS2011 on your EX495 you will lose the function of your LED's. Someone recently worked on restoring the LED functions which you can read about in the following link: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/06 ... rver-2011/

Before installing WHS2011 on to your EX495 I suggest you gather up as much information about what your about to do and also read the various forum posts to see what others have experienced then you will have a much better understanding of what your about to do.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks