It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: I give up.....for now
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:51 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have been using WHSv1 for some time & decided to try out WHS2011. Since I have 2 boxes running WHSv1. I decided to sacrifice the EX-495 for this project. I could not get the USB install to work and ended up getting a KVM and also threw in a 4Gig memory stick into the mix. I had a six 2TB drives configuration & used stablebit. I had a few power issues & have since added an APC SMT2200 UPS to power both the EX495 & Lilibisit. Only 20 movies of varying formats were added to the test server. However I had to install Twonky to able to see all the movies on the PCH, and I also noticed BD streaming stuttered.
I also learned that you had to copy files to the serverpool folder not the folders in the actual drive..thanks Comp1962 for that tip. I did a Stablebit update & for some reason 'lost' my movies/data. I could see the drives were occupied but I could not really access the actual files/folders. Ended up doing a clean install, extreme but I have a habit of doing clean installs once things start acting up.

I did notice a couple of things about WHS2011
- it responds faster
- Slow file Transfer, not sure if this is a Windows or Stablebit thing
- BluRays were stuttering until I installed Twonky
- I could not get NFS configured, since I could not point the NFS share to the pooled Movies folder....maybe I was doing something wrong who knows

I was hoping I could get WHS2011 working on the EX-495 & I eventually migrate Lilibisit to WHS2011. This way it would utilize Raid 5 or 6 off the Adatec 52445 Raid Controller & assuming WHS2011 would take advantage of it. As of right now I have 'temporarily' given up on WHS2011 & have switched back to WHSv1. ](*,)

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:47 pm 

I believe you might want to attribute the reduction of file transfer speeds to Stablebit. This is in no way to fault it or keep people from trying Stablebit out. It is in beta and they are taking a very conservative approach and so its this may be intentional. I have quite abit of respect for Stablebit and the work being done on it. I believe the performance issues with Stablebit will be resolved around the time the M4 version is released or shortly after that. What I can tell you is that prior to the installation of Stablebit on my test server I was seeing 75-125 mb/s trasfer rates and after Stablebit was installed that rate dropped to as low as 20. When my license for WHS2011 ran out on the test server I reinstalled WHS2011 with a proper license and the transfer speeds returned to where they once were prior to Stablebit. I did get to play with Stablebit alot in that I physically removed and reinserted the drives without issue, I actually removed a drive and then had Stablebit remove the drive again without issue. I found it to be more friendly than DE in WHS v1 and so I gained quite abit of respect for it during my limited time testing it. Again I am waiting for the M4 release then I will resume testing it out and look forward to doing so.

Because there are so many updates that are released for Stablebit and sometimes 2 in one day it can be somewhat annoying when updating the software. What I found was there were some instance that simply required a reboot for the update to take place while others required an unstall then a reinstallation for the update to fully work. What I basically mean by this that my shares would vanish and the only way to get them back was either a reboot or the uninstall/reinstall technique.

Had my WHS2011 license not expire so soon I would be still running and testing Stablebit today but since I had to reinstall WHS2011 I felt the need to test its tranfer speeds here and there and that by the time the M4 version of Stablebit was released I would have a decent evaluation of both. Now I do have WHS2011 running on Highlander and its doing well but I do miss having the storage pool so I have to constanly move files and resort them as I add movies to the server spread accross 10 drives with bays open for future expansion. I do continue to run WHS v1 and will continue to do so for quite sometime.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks